[comp.os.msdos.programmer] TD 2.01 versus Desqview

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (02/05/91)

Here's a little irritant I've found running either TD or TD286 under
Desqview 2.25.  Something about the way the debugger disconnects itself
from the mouse doesn't get through to Desqview, so if you

 - run TD in a DOS window
 - exit TD
 - switch to a different window
 - switch back to the DOS window

Desqview will reinstall the TD mouse driver for you.  Of course, since
TD isn't there any more, it's not long until you crash if you move the
mouse.

It appears that a little program that just does a mouse initialization
call (i.e. INT 33h with AH=0) run after TD will convince Desqview
that the mouse driver isn't there any more, and things will be fine.

A nicer alternative would be a way to tell Desqview that it should handle
the mouse again.  As it is, once a window takes over the mouse, there
appears to be no way to give it back to DV.  Does anyone know of one?
(I've tried simply saving the mouse state and restoring it later,
but it doesn't seem to work.)

Duncan Murdoch
dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu

yow@magic.Berkeley.EDU (Billy Yow 283-4009) (02/05/91)

Have you tried the Mouse Reset option on one of the DESQview menus.  I
believe it is on the Video Menu.  Try typing

   Alt, R, V, F1  I think that will reset the mouse to DV.

I will repost if the keys are wrong.

					Bill Yow
					yow@sweetpea.jsc.nasa.gov

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) (02/05/91)

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) writes:

	Here's a little irritant I've found running either TD or TD286 under
	Desqview 2.25.  Something about the way the debugger disconnects itself
	from the mouse doesn't get through to Desqview, so if you
[stuff deleted]
	A nicer alternative would be a way to tell Desqview that it should handle
	the mouse again.  As it is, once a window takes over the mouse, there
	appears to be no way to give it back to DV.  Does anyone know of one?
	(I've tried simply saving the mouse state and restoring it later,
	but it doesn't seem to work.)

Doesn't [R]econfigure [T]une performance F1 (restore mouse) work? If so,
create a script to run after TD (or even a script to run TD?).

Best Regards, Derek Carr
DEREK@DTS.INE.PHILIPS.NL           Philips I&E TQV-5 Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Standard Disclaimers apply.

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (02/06/91)

In article <656@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl> derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) writes:
>dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) writes:
>

>	A nicer alternative would be a way to tell Desqview that it should handle
>	the mouse again.  As it is, once a window takes over the mouse, there
>	appears to be no way to give it back to DV.  Does anyone know of one?
>	(I've tried simply saving the mouse state and restoring it later,
>	but it doesn't seem to work.)
>
>Doesn't [R]econfigure [T]une performance F1 (restore mouse) work? If so,

No, it doesn't work for me.  Once the mouse is gone, it's gone.  (By the
way, can you find that option anywhere in the manual?  I'd like to know
what it's supposed to do.)

Duncan Murdoch