[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Programmer's Editor

Bartholomew_Siemens@mindlink.UUCP (Bartholomew Siemens) (02/09/91)

I'm looking for some information about a new editor (last six months or so)
called Sage Programmer's Editor. Right now I am using a registered version of
Qedit--good shareware editor, but I need something more. I've played with
Brief--briefly--and was planning on getting that until I heard about Sage.
        What I require is some of the docs on what makes this editor worth
three hundred and fifty some odd dollars. I'm assuming it has regular
expressing search and replacement and all the other regular goodies. What is
the file limit? How many windows can I have on screen at one time? Is there a
memory limit?
Please email, and I will summarize.

Disclaimer: navahoe -- I am exactly who I am and I speak that!
rsoft!mindlink!Bartholomew_Siemens@van-bc.UUCP

theall@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu (George A. Theall) (02/10/91)

In article <4736@mindlink.UUCP> Bartholomew_Siemens@mindlink.UUCP (Bartholomew Siemens) writes:
>I'm looking for some information about a new editor (last six months or so)
>called Sage Programmer's Editor.
>        What I require is some of the docs on what makes this editor worth
>three hundred and fifty some odd dollars.

   Sage offers a 30 day, money back guarantee with their programmer's
editor. [See, for example, the ad in DDJ Jan '91.] I suggest you call
Sage at  1 800 547 4000 (or +1 503 645 1150) and give it a try. What
better way to see if it suits your needs?  I did this with their
PolyShell two years ago and was not expected to pay until I decided to
keep it. I did, though, return their AWK product on evaluation with
*no* hassle (I already had MKS AWK; just wanted to see how they
compared).

   Myself, I'm happy to buy from a company which trusts its customers
in this fashion. Yeah, maybe I spent more than if I had bought it
from a mail-order discounter, but then again I had the option of
returning it.

George
---
theall@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu			Dept. of Economics
theall@ssctemp.sas.upenn.edu			Univ. of Pennsylvania
gtheall@penndrls.upenn.edu			Philadelphia, PA 19104

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) (02/13/91)

Bartholomew_Siemens@mindlink.UUCP (Bartholomew Siemens) writes:

>I'm looking for some information about a new editor (last six months or so)
>called Sage Programmer's Editor. Right now I am using a registered version of
>Qedit--good shareware editor, but I need something more. I've played with
>Brief--briefly--and was planning on getting that until I heard about Sage.
>        What I require is some of the docs on what makes this editor worth
>three hundred and fifty some odd dollars. I'm assuming it has regular
>expressing search and replacement and all the other regular goodies. What is
>the file limit? How many windows can I have on screen at one time? Is there a
>memory limit?
>Please email, and I will summarize.

>Disclaimer: navahoe -- I am exactly who I am and I speak that!
>rsoft!mindlink!Bartholomew_Siemens@van-bc.UUCP

You could check out Multi-Edit. I recently got it, and am very impressed -
it is very versatile. I have the European version from European Cybernetics
in Utrecht, Holland, but I think it may be available from American
Cybernetics (?) in the States. This is why I'm posting so someone will
fill in the information.

I paid less than fl 400 (say $100?) fro the professional version which
comes with all the sources to the macros, and some other goodies.

Best Regards, Derek Carr
DEREK@DTS.INE.PHILIPS.NL           Philips I&E TQV-5 Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Standard Disclaimers apply.

cox@sun.software.org (Guy Cox) (02/13/91)

Get freemacs. It's available from Clarkson. It's close enough to
EMACS/EPOCH that I
don't suffer culture shock when I move from UNIX to MSDOS. The virtures
of this
editor have been ignored for too long in this news group.

//
//Remember; Tuesday is Soylent green day!
//

Guy O. Cox, Jr.
Software Productivity Consortium.
2214 RockHill Rd
Herndon, VA 22090
703-742-7219
cox@software.org

jvb7u@fermi.clas.Virginia.EDU (Jon Brinkmann) (02/14/91)

While we're on the subject... I've tried several programmer's editors
(QEDIT, MULTI-EDIT and others) but haven't really been satisfied with them.

I guess I'm picky but I'd like one that:
	1)	allows one to put tab (^I) characters in the file,
			but will expand them to a user definable set
			of equal positions (4 spaces for C, 8 for all else).
	2)	and has user definable keys (include F1-F10, <ctrl>... and
		<alt>...), macros, and a startup file.
	3)	small (< 64K executable) so I can use it on our old PC's.

The above editors, at least after a cursory look, don't satisfy all three.
I had real hopes for CSE, that was posted to comp.ibm.pc.binaries a while
back, but alas it failed as well.

Jon
--
Jon Brinkmann					Astronomy Department
Internet:	jvb7u@Virginia.EDU		University of Virginia

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (02/14/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 1991 03:50:59 GMT

In article <1991Feb14.001120.12992@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> jvb7u@fermi.clas.Virginia.EDU (Jon Brinkmann) writes:
>While we're on the subject... I've tried several programmer's editors
>(QEDIT, MULTI-EDIT and others) but haven't really been satisfied with them.
>I guess I'm picky but I'd like one that:
>	1)	allows one to put tab (^I) characters in the file,
>			but will expand them to a user definable set
>			of equal positions (4 spaces for C, 8 for all else).
>	2)	and has user definable keys (include F1-F10, <ctrl>... and
>		<alt>...), macros, and a startup file.
>	3)	small (< 64K executable) so I can use it on our old PC's.
>The above editors, at least after a cursory look, don't satisfy all three.
>Jon

Hm, I don't want to start any editor-flame war, but what you described is
a definition of QEdit. Which of the three do you feel it doesn't support?
I've been using QEdit for a long time, first shareware, now commercial
version. They ALL supported all of the above...
If you have questions, please email me directly, I will be happy to help
if I can.

Tony
tporczyk@novell.com
--Std.Disclaimer--

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) (02/14/91)

cox@sun.software.org (Guy Cox) writes:

>Get freemacs. It's available from Clarkson. It's close enough to
>EMACS/EPOCH that I
>don't suffer culture shock when I move from UNIX to MSDOS. The virtures
>of this
>editor have been ignored for too long in this news group.

But I don't HAVE emacs on my (Sun4/pyramid) UNIX system, and have never
seen it on ANY unix system I've worked on - I've either had to use vi
(not too bad, but not too good either) the user-hostile sun editor, or
Framemaker - which sometime is rather a steam-roller to crack a nut!

As I mentioned in another article, I use Multi-Edit which I have set up
to emulate word-star type commands, for initial work, Borlands IDE for
debugging and trimming (word-star like) and AHED for small batch-file
work. I don't get too confused :-)

jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (02/15/91)

Bartholomew_Siemens@mindlink.UUCP (Bartholomew Siemens) writes:

>I'm looking for some information about a new editor (last six months or so)
>called Sage Programmer's Editor. Right now I am using a registered version of
>Qedit--good shareware editor, but I need something more. I've played with
>Brief--briefly--and was planning on getting that until I heard about Sage.
>        What I require is some of the docs on what makes this editor worth
>three hundred and fifty some odd dollars. I'm assuming it has regular
>expressing search and replacement and all the other regular goodies. What is
>the file limit? How many windows can I have on screen at one time? Is there a
>memory limit?
>Please email, and I will summarize.

Save your $350.  I too was interested in a better programmer's editor and
decided to look at the Sage Professional Editor.  Since Sage had an
exhibit at Software Development '91, I had the opportunity to play around
with the editor (version 1.1) extensively.

In a period of about 25 minutes I was about to break the editor in about
eight different, major, ways.  The Sage technical guy who was looking over
my shoulder kept making comments like "oops, there's another one" every
time the editor did something strange.  He openly admitted they were bugs.

The editor has mouse support, which is a nice concept, but the Sage
implementation left a little to be desired.  Since it's a character
oriented editor, the scroll and select boxes are only one character in
size, and trying to click on them with the mouse was exasperating at
best.

Since I spend about 90% of my time in the editor when I'm writing software,
I can't afford to use an editor this buggy.  Perhaps I'll wait for version
2.0 or 3.0 before I consider it again.

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway

randall@Virginia.EDU (Ran Atkinson) (02/15/91)

In article <665@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl>,
	 derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek Carr) writes:

>But I don't HAVE emacs on my (Sun4/pyramid) UNIX system, and have never
>seen it on ANY unix system I've worked on - I've either had to use vi
>(not too bad, but not too good either) the user-hostile sun editor, or
>Framemaker - which sometime is rather a steam-roller to crack a nut!

There is no reason not to have EMACS on ANY UNIX system.  Among many others,
the source for MicroEMACS is available from any comp.sources.* archive
on the net, many PC BBSs, and elsewhere.  GNU Emacs was originally developed
on a UNIX system and has been ported to every UNIX system I've heard of
and some UNIX version I hadn't heard of before perusing the GNU Emacs
documentation.  It is also widely available on the net and the FSF folks
will even put it onto a Mag Tape for you for a very slight fee.

If one doesn't want to use EMACS that is fine, but claims that it isn't
freely available on UNIX (or MSDOS or AmigaDOS or MacOS) are absurd.

tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb14.001120.12992@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, jvb7u@fermi.clas.Virginia.EDU (Jon Brinkmann) says:

>While we're on the subject... I've tried several programmer's editors
>(QEDIT, MULTI-EDIT and others) but haven't really been satisfied with them.
>
>I guess I'm picky but I'd like one that:
>        1)      allows one to put tab (^I) characters in the file,
>                        but will expand them to a user definable set
>                        of equal positions (4 spaces for C, 8 for all else).
>        2)      and has user definable keys (include F1-F10, <ctrl>... and
>                <alt>...), macros, and a startup file.
>        3)      small (< 64K executable) so I can use it on our old PC's.

1) QEdit does allow user-definable positions for (I think) up to 6 user
    definable extensions (C, Pas, Txt, Bat, whatever you want). I don't
    know about the placement of Tabs as ^I but I can put them in.

2) Virtually every key on the keyboard is redefinable in QEdit. It also
   has macros (but no startup file, and not sure what you want in the
    startup file).

3) QEdit is 45k or so.

I use it all the time and have not found anything that beats it yet :-)

(Alright, you can flame me for posting rather than E-Mail...)

Carl Schelin
tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu

rdippold@maui.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb14.001120.12992@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> jvb7u@fermi.clas.Virginia.EDU (Jon Brinkmann) writes:
>While we're on the subject... I've tried several programmer's editors
>(QEDIT, MULTI-EDIT and others) but haven't really been satisfied with them.
>
>I guess I'm picky but I'd like one that:
>	1)	allows one to put tab (^I) characters in the file,
>			but will expand them to a user definable set
>			of equal positions (4 spaces for C, 8 for all else).
>	2)	and has user definable keys (include F1-F10, <ctrl>... and
>		<alt>...), macros, and a startup file.
>	3)	small (< 64K executable) so I can use it on our old PC's.

Huh?  QEDIT does all this (and more)...  At least version 2.1 does.

todd@toolz.uucp (Todd Merriman) (02/16/91)

jvb7u@fermi.clas.Virginia.EDU (Jon Brinkmann) writes:
>I guess I'm picky but I'd like one that:
>	1)	allows one to put tab (^I) characters in the file,
>			but will expand them to a user definable set
>			of equal positions (4 spaces for C, 8 for all else).
>	2)	and has user definable keys (include F1-F10, <ctrl>... and
>		<alt>...), macros, and a startup file.
>	3)	small (< 64K executable) so I can use it on our old PC's.

You should try Brief, from

	Solutions Systems
	541 Main St., Ste. 410
	S. Weymouth, MA  02190

It is available from the programmer's supply houses.