[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Microsoft: Bugs reporting bugs

ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) (02/13/91)

	A word to the wise if you report a bug to Microsoft:  make sure
you document the name of the person you report it to and the date you do so.
I turned in a C6.0A bug in early January- I was told if it was confirmed
I would receive a free update to the next release of the compiler as a
"finders fee".  Today I learned that although the bug has been placed in their
database, there is no record of my having reported it - so I'm out of luck.

	I explicitly asked MS to correct this snafu- and they explicitly
declined my request.  I guess big companies don't *have* to be nice :-).

You have been warned.

(the bug?  if you inline code the asm instruction FILD with a dd argument,
the compiler coerces it to a FLD instruction).
--
Ray Berry  kb7ht  uucp: ...sumax!ole!ray CIS: 73407,3152 /* "inquire within" */
"But you're not dealing with Borland".  "Well, I am NOW".

johnk@cpqhou.uucp (John Kennedy) (02/14/91)

>I turned in a C6.0A bug in early January- I was told if it was confirmed
>I would receive a free update to the next release of the compiler as a
>"finders fee".  Today I learned that although the bug has been placed in their

Just how do I go about reporting a bug to Microsoft, anyway?

--
John R. Kennedy                                   Compaq Computer Corporation
uunet!cpqhou.com!johnk                                         (713) 378-7061

ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) (02/17/91)

johnk@cpqhou.uucp (John Kennedy) writes:

>Just how do I go about reporting a bug to Microsoft, anyway?

    I simply called it in to their telephone support number.  Evidently there
is a support service termed "OnLine" (I *think* this is a subscription ($)
BBS) by which bugs can be turned in.  For that matter, I don't doubt that
they can be submitted through CompuServe or by mail.

    BTW, as a followup to my own post I am pleased to announce that someone
at MS took note of my plight and e-mailed saying they would step in and make
good on the snafu.
--
Ray Berry  kb7ht  uucp: ...sumax!ole!ray CIS: 73407,3152 /* "inquire within" */