[comp.os.msdos.programmer] QEMM 5.11 is emotional

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (02/04/91)

I am using QEMM 5.11 on a Micronics 386-33 and was wondering if anyone has
had any success using it with Turbo Debugger...actually, with any protected
mode applications!

device=qemm.sys NOSH NOEMS ROM RAM

Is all that I use it for, that and loadhi and buffers.  As far as I know
Quarterdeck defined the VCPI, but when I try and run TD286 it says that I
am running a non-VCPI compliant memory manager.  I also get that complaint
from TD386.  I understand that two programs can't run in V8086 mode, but
why cna't I use TD286?  The docs state that it should work just fine.  As
a matter of fact, Borland mentions QEMM by name!

If anyone is having a similar problem or knows what I can do, please help.

Brian

PS Note that Quarterdeck's tech support puts me on hold for 15-30 minutes
at a time, and it's not toll free.

doug@bdt.COM (Doug Asherman) (02/05/91)

In article <26661@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:

[stuff deleted about protected mode stuff not running with QEMM]
>device=qemm.sys NOSH NOEMS ROM RAM
>
>Is all that I use it for, that and loadhi and buffers.  As far as I know
>Quarterdeck defined the VCPI, but when I try and run TD286 it says that I
>am running a non-VCPI compliant memory manager.  I also get that complaint

When I contacted Quarterdeck Tech support on Compuserve, I was told that
TD286 was itself not VCPI compliant.  I'm surprised you get that
message, though; I get an Exception 13 (from QEMM) when I try to run
TD286.

If there is anyone out there who understands whats going on, I'd
certainly like to hear from them.
--
.signature: permission denied

AVIR@BGUVM.BITNET (Aviel Roy-Shapira) (02/17/91)

I have anoher problem with QEMM. Occasionally, the root directory of a heavily
accessed floppy is scrambled, so that every other byte becomes FF.
This never happens when I don;t have QEMM in the background. It happend
with both V. 5.0 and 5.1, and only when multiple file copies where attempted.
All virus checkers report no virus.
Ideas anyone?

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (02/18/91)

In article <91046.230826AVIR@BGUVM.BITNET>, AVIR@BGUVM.BITNET (Aviel Roy-Shapira) wrote:
}I have anoher problem with QEMM. Occasionally, the root directory of a heavily
}accessed floppy is scrambled, so that every other byte becomes FF.

This can reportedly be helped by playing with the DMA= parameter.
--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf  ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/3.1
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask