[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Any need to upgrade to Turbo C++ 2.0 for non-Windows people?

geoff@mindseye.berkeley.edu (Geoffrey Ghose) (02/21/91)

I have no intention of doing any Windows programming.  Is there any
reason to upgrade?  Are there additional bug fixes in V. 2.0? If there
are is there any way to patch in the fixes without upgrading?

Thanks.

	Geoff Ghose		NeXT Mail:geoff@pinoko.berkeley.edu

kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb20.181624.5279@agate.berkeley.edu> geoff@mindseye.berkeley.edu (Geoffrey Ghose) writes:
>I have no intention of doing any Windows programming.  Is there any
>reason to upgrade?  Are there additional bug fixes in V. 2.0? If there
>are is there any way to patch in the fixes without upgrading?

Borland appears to be dropping the name "Turbo" with C++.  Version 2.0 of C++
is now called "Borland C++" not "Turbo C++".

Now to answer your question.  Many of the bugs found in Turbo C++ 1.01 are
fixed in version 2.0.  In addition, there are several new features unrelated
to the Windows support it contains.  One of the big features is the ability to
keep on disk pre-compiled versions of include files.  This saves quite a bit
on re-compile time when include files have not changes.  Also there is now a
built in assembler, as well, to handle in-line assembly code.
Kevin Gallagher        kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org OR ...!uunet!digi!kgallagh
DSC Communications Corporation   Addr: MS 152, 1000 Coit Rd, Plano, TX 75075