[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Turbo debugger mouse problem!

rmich@Lise.Unit.NO (Rolf Michelsen) (02/26/91)

Hi!

I'm having some trouble with using a mouse with Turbo Debugger 2.0 and Turbo
Profiler 1.0. I am using an Artec Mouse with driver version 6.6.

When running the TD without any command line options, no mouse cursor appears.
Using the '-ds' switch as specified somewhere in the disk based documentation,
the mouse cursor apears but it doesn't react to button presses. I have tried this
with the mouse in both its Microsoft-compatible mode and its Mouse Systems mode.
The Artec Mouse is a serial device.

Anyone know the solution to this. If any TD and Artec uses don't have this
problem, please tell me so I can start looking elsewhere for the source of my
problems. Thanks...

    ___________________
   /                   |
  / Snail-Mail:        |
 /   Rolf Michelsen    |
/    Studpost 130      |
\    7034 Trondheim-NTH|
 \  E-Mail:            |
  \  rmich@lise.unit.no|
   \___________________|

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.100353.3527@ugle.unit.no> rmich@Lise.Unit.NO (Rolf Michelsen) writes:

>Hi!
>
>I'm having some trouble with using a mouse with Turbo Debugger 2.0 and Turbo
>Profiler 1.0. I am using an Artec Mouse with driver version 6.6.

Can you upgrade to a newer version of a mouse driver?

Having seen this discussed in a number of newsgroups, I think this should be
placed in a FAQ somewhere.

It seems that all the new Borland products that use mouse-based interfaces are
having problems with older mouse drivers.  Evidently many mouse drivers don't
have some function that (I *think*) temporarily disables the mouse driver, or
at least puts it back into the state it was before running the program currently
using the mouse.  This way you can shell to DOS, and start up another program
that uses the mouse, without having any problems.  Similarly, you can compile
and run a program that uses a mouse.

I was having problems with my 6.x mouse driver, but when I upgraded to the 7.04
driver that came with win3, my problems went away (though the mouse does seem
a bit more jerky now.... but that may just be halucinations  :-)

< disclaimer >
I've not done any mouse programming, so I'm not sure what all commands this
entails, so some of this information may be incorrect and/or misleading.
< end disclaimer >

A question about mouse driver version numbers:

Rolf states that his mouse driver is version 6.6.  Does this mean that it's
equivalent to MS mouse drivers v6.6, or is it just version 6.6 of their own
drivers?

That is, if someone came onto the market with a new mouse and mouse drivers,
would their drivers be listed as v1.0 (and hopefully being MS 7.0 compatible)
or would they list it as being a v7.0 mouse driver?

Btw, does anyone know what the latest version is of MS Mouse drivers??
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | XEDIT: Emacs
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| on a REAL

hollen@megatek.UUCP (Dion Hollenbeck) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb26.100353.3527@ugle.unit.no> rmich@Lise.Unit.NO (Rolf Michelsen) writes:

> I'm having some trouble with using a mouse with Turbo Debugger 2.0 and Turbo
> Profiler 1.0. I am using an Artec Mouse with driver version 6.6.

Other posters have suggested upgrading your mouse driver.  I have a
Logitech mouse and this did not solve the problem.  The workaround
I used (which may or may not be available for your mouse) was
to create a mouse menu to make the mouse keys return <CR>, <ESC>,
<F10> and the like.  I merely set up the combinations I felt most
helpful and did not worry about full mouse functionality.  I left
the motion of the mouse returning arrow keystrokes.
--
-----
	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814