[comp.os.msdos.programmer] PC-to-UNIX communications help needed

dcc@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Daniel Creswell) (02/27/91)

The kermit file-transfer protocol would be a good place to start as most Unix
machines in Netland support it. It's basically public domain and I think the
University of columbia have the original (don't quote me on that!).

Regards,
	Dan.

fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Filip Gieszczykiewicz) (02/28/91)

In article <37390002@hpopd.pwd.hp.com> dcc@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Daniel Creswell) writes:
>The kermit file-transfer protocol would be a good place to start as most Unix
>machines in Netland support it. It's basically public domain and I think the
>University of columbia have the original (don't quote me on that!).
>
>Regards,
>	Dan.

	Greetings. If you are running UNIX, I have something better
	for you. I use a program called "sz". It was written by
	Chuck Forsberg of Omen Technology INC. I have version 2.10
	(5-9-88) for V7/BSD. As for the PC side, any number of
	programs such as Telix (great!), ProComm, etc will do.
	Compared with Kermit, it's warp 6!

	By the way, anyone know if Mr. Forsberg in on the net?
	And, perhaps, if the sources are availiable so that the program
	may be compiled on other machines?

	Take care.

	P.S. "(don't quote me on that!)" also applies :-)
"The Force will be with you, always." It _is_ with me and has been for 11 years
Filip Gieszczykiewicz  "... a Jedi does it with a mind trick... " ;-)
FMGST@PITTVMS  or  fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu "My ideas. ALL MINE!!"

REIDMP@MAINE.BITNET (Reid M. Pinchback) (03/02/91)

fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Filip Gieszczykiewicz) writes:
*       Greetings. If you are running UNIX, I have something better
*       for you. I use a program called "sz". It was written by
*       Chuck Forsberg of Omen Technology INC. I have version 2.10
*       (5-9-88) for V7/BSD. As for the PC side, any number of
*       programs such as Telix (great!), ProComm, etc will do.
*       Compared with Kermit, it's warp 6!

*       By the way, anyone know if Mr. Forsberg in on the net?
*       And, perhaps, if the sources are availiable so that the program
*       may be compiled on other machines?
*
*       Take care.
*
*       P.S. "(don't quote me on that!)" also applies :-)
*
* ______________________________________________________________________

Re: using 'sz' as a PC-Unix link works fine, provided the modem is directly
connected to the Unix box.  If some kind of dial-up network is being used
with something like a 7E1 parity then file transfers of binaries may not
work (does anybody know a good reliable fix for this, in situations where
the user can't control the line settings on the network?)

rz/sz sources can be found on the UNIX-C section of Simtel20

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (03/04/91)

REIDMP@MAINE.BITNET (Reid M. Pinchback) writes:

>Re: using 'sz' as a PC-Unix link works fine, provided the modem is directly
>connected to the Unix box.  If some kind of dial-up network is being used
>with something like a 7E1 parity then file transfers of binaries may not
>work (does anybody know a good reliable fix for this, in situations where
>the user can't control the line settings on the network?)

Use the -e (escape all control chars) switch.  I.e., "sz -ea file" or
"sz -eb file".  I've been using this through our terminal server and it
works fine.  (Doesn't work w/o the -e)  Doesn't seem to impact on
throughput, either...