[comp.os.msdos.programmer] MS C 6.0a and PS/2 mouse

sine@brahms.udel.edu (sine@sun.acs.udel.edu) (03/05/91)

I am programming in MS C 6.0 with all of the latest updates and am
having problems with the mouse.  I am using a PS/2 mouse on a PS/2 model
80.  The mouse works fine with other programs including OS/2 and Windows
with either the MS driver (7.??) or with the PS/2 mouse driver (1.0).

In C, it works fine in PWB but it crashes in Codeview.  I can get into
CV and use the mouse to begin my program.  When I move the mouse while
running my program, it crashes back to the CV screen and the machine is
frozen.  This reacts this way with either driver.

The only work around I have found is to use a serial mouse instead of
the ordinary PS/2 mouse, but this means I have to purchase an additional
serial adapter, since I am using the existing one for a videodisc.

I have spoken to IBM ("call Microsoft") and to Microsoft ("not our
product, call IBM") so any help is greatly appreciated.  At the very
least, I'd like to know if anyone is using the PS/2 mouse with MS C.

Thanks for any insights!

Pat
--

Pat Sine                                         sine@brahms.udel.edu
Instructional Technology

n8541751@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Where there is darkness, light) (03/05/91)

sine@brahms.udel.edu (sine@sun.acs.udel.edu) writes:

>I am programming in MS C 6.0 with all of the latest updates and am
>having problems with the mouse.  I am using a PS/2 mouse on a PS/2 model
>80.  The mouse works fine with other programs including OS/2 and Windows
>with either the MS driver (7.??) or with the PS/2 mouse driver (1.0).

>In C, it works fine in PWB but it crashes in Codeview.  I can get into
>CV and use the mouse to begin my program.  When I move the mouse while
>running my program, it crashes back to the CV screen and the machine is
>frozen.  This reacts this way with either driver.

>The only work around I have found is to use a serial mouse instead of
>the ordinary PS/2 mouse, but this means I have to purchase an additional
>serial adapter, since I am using the existing one for a videodisc.

>I have spoken to IBM ("call Microsoft") and to Microsoft ("not our
>product, call IBM") so any help is greatly appreciated.  At the very
>least, I'd like to know if anyone is using the PS/2 mouse with MS C.

We had intermittent, (hard to find!) problems with PS/2 mice and a
software product we were developing.  Most of the time things were ok,
then once in a while the whole think crashed whenever the mouse moved.

After many hours spent looking at source code, someone in our office
noticed that the port for the mouse on the back of the PS/2's was exactly
the same as the one for the keyboard.

The best part is yet to come.....when you reverse the two, mouse plug
in keyboard socket, and keyboard plug in mouse socket, things work OK
_most_ of the time, but then there's that intermittent crash that's so
hard to track down....happens especially when your hand's on the mouse...

--
Kriston M. Bruland          |    . .         . .      . . .      .       . .
n8541751@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu |    .   .     . .        .        . .       .   .