[comp.os.msdos.programmer] BACKUP LISTING

smyser@athena.mit.edu (Robert Smyser) (03/08/91)

In <12533@ucrmath.ucr.edu> starbuck@ucrmath.ucr.edu (aaron greenwood) writes:

>I would like to know if there is a way to get a listing of a backup files
>on a dos machine.  I checked with our local micro support group and they said
>it could not be done.  I find this hard to believe.  I would like be able to
>something like the vax vms command backup/list=filename.

All the filenames in the current volume of a dos backup (version 3.3+) are in
CONTROL.xxx.  The parent directory is listed there, as are the names of the files
in BACKUP.XXX.  Obviously this is the very information that RESTORE uses to put the files back from where they came.  One could imagine a simple utility program that merely scanned for these names and reported them to stdout.