[comp.os.msdos.programmer] How much space does 4DOS take?

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (02/13/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 1991 03:09:16 GMT

In article <1991Feb12.172914.20377@oracle.com> schanin@oracle.com (Steven Chanin) writes:
>     4DOS sounds like a pretty cool shell, but before I go out and buy
>it, I was wondering if anyone knew how much conventional memory it
>takes up?  The reason I ask is that I'm doing Win3 development and

If you specify in the 4dos.opt file (very clearly explained in the docs),
4DOS command interpreter will *swap* itself out of memory either to
extended memory or to disk (as you prefer) when the applications need more
room. Can't beat that. I believe it leaves about 10K or so in memory
(don't remember exactly).
4DOS is really great. Could not go back to COMMAND.COM now.

Tony

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (02/14/91)

I seem to have 4dos take up a mere 1k or so
(environment space).  MSDOS takes up 35k and IO
takes up 10k, and drivers and such take up another
5k.  I of course have QEMM on my machine, but it
doesn't directly involve 4dos.

(4dos does swap to XMS in my case.)

ie - I have 600k free w/ 4dos, qemm, and about 100k
of drivers.

--
Parik Rao, University of California Santa Barbara
6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (02/14/91)

<In article <1991Feb12.172914.20377@oracle.com> schanin@oracle.com (Steven Chanin) writes:
<>     4DOS sounds like a pretty cool shell, but before I go out and buy
<>it, I was wondering if anyone knew how much conventional memory it
<>takes up?  The reason I ask is that I'm doing Win3 development and

Quoting from 4DOS.DOC:

	4DOS requires less than 4K of your precious RAM for its
	resident portion (less than 1K with XMS swapping!), and can
	use EMS, XMS, or disk for swapping its transient portion.

--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

toma@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb13.030916.10963@novell.com> tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) writes:

>If you specify in the 4dos.opt file (very clearly explained in the docs),
>4DOS command interpreter will *swap* itself out of memory either to
>extended memory or to disk (as you prefer) when the applications need more
>room. Can't beat that. I believe it leaves about 10K or so in memory

Better than that. If you have an XMS driver and free upper memory, then it
will take *256 bytes*. Otherwise it takes about 3k.

--
Tom Almy
toma@sail.labs.tek.com

IO92203@MAINE.BITNET (Scott Maxell) (02/17/91)

    Transient swapping in 4Dos only works if you have a hard disk...
otherwise, 4Dos takes up quite a lot of memory...

+---------+ Scott Maxell --- IO92203 AT MAINE
|         | ---------------- IO92203 AT MAINE.MAINE.EDU
|    O    |
|    |    | "What I need is a computer that will do what I want it to do
+---------+ not what I tell it to do..."

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (02/18/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 1991 20:59:14 GMT

In article <91047.222138IO92203@MAINE.BITNET> IO92203@MAINE.BITNET (Scott Maxell) writes:
>    Transient swapping in 4Dos only works if you have a hard disk...
>otherwise, 4Dos takes up quite a lot of memory...

Bzzzz! Time's up. Wrong answer. Here is a quote from a 4DOS manual:

 Minimal Memory Usage

 4DOS requires less than 4K of your precious RAM for its
 resident portion (less than 1K with XMS swapping!), and can
 use EMS, XMS, or disk for swapping its transient portion.

Hope that helps to solve the mystery of transient swapping.

Tony
tporczyk@novell.com

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (02/18/91)

In article <91047.222138IO92203@MAINE.BITNET>, IO92203@MAINE.BITNET (Scott Maxell) wrote:
}    Transient swapping in 4Dos only works if you have a hard disk...
}otherwise, 4Dos takes up quite a lot of memory...

You must have an ancient version.  4DOS will also swap to EMS or XMS.

--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf  ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/3.1
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask

mhr@ccicpg.UUCP (MHR {who?}) (02/19/91)

In <91047.222138IO92203@MAINE.BITNET>, IO92203@MAINE.BITNET writes:

>     Transient swapping in 4Dos only works if you have a hard disk...
> otherwise, 4Dos takes up quite a lot of memory...

Not quite - you can also swap to EMS or XMS, if you have one (or both)
of them, too.

It is important to remember here that 4DOS is a COMMAND.COM
_replacement_, and it only takes up about an extra 20k (I think),
maximum, if the transient portion can't be swapped.  I think it's worth
it for the extra capabilities you get.

My only problem with 4DOS has been that it doesn't quite agree with
Windows 3.0/386 - for some reason I have more problems running the
latter than under DOS 3.3.  Still, I have found a way around that, since
I do not use Windows for everything yet.

Regards.

--
Mark A. Hull-Richter    UUCP:  ccicpg!mhr       In all things, restraint,
ICL North America                               especially with respect

mhr@mendip.UUCP (MHR {who?}) (03/09/91)

In <91047.222138IO92203@MAINE.BITNET>, IO92203@MAINE.BITNET writes:

>     Transient swapping in 4Dos only works if you have a hard disk...
> otherwise, 4Dos takes up quite a lot of memory...

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!  Incomplete (and hence, wrong) answer.

Transient swapping in 4DOS works if you have a hard disk, or EMS or XMS
or a RAM disk.  Read the 4DOS.DOC file (or your manual if you registered
your copy), preferably before posting either questions or answers of
this nature.

And please, folks, if you're going to answer a question, either post the
correct and complete answer or at least note that it is or may be
neither.  Thanks.

No flames intended, just a (well, maybe not so) gentle erratum.

> +---------+ Scott Maxell --- IO92203 AT MAINE
> |         | ---------------- IO92203 AT MAINE.MAINE.EDU
> |    |    | "What I need is a computer that will do what I want it to do
> +---------+ not what I tell it to do..."

Don't we all....