[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Memory Managers: Is DOS 5.0 same as Windows?

lanham@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Ryan Lanham) (03/17/91)

Could someone enlighten me as to the differences if any between the
memory manager in Windows 3.0 and in DOS 5.0?  I'm wondering if
they are actually going to be the same one.

If that's the case, it seems to me that DOS 5.0 becomes a sensible
transition for organizations hoping to move to Windows 3.0 from
a text based DOS 3.3 environment.

Comments?

Regards,

Ryan

resnicks@netcom.COM (Steve Resnick) (03/19/91)

In article <1158@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> lanham@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Ryan Lanham) writes:
>Could someone enlighten me as to the differences if any between the
>memory manager in Windows 3.0 and in DOS 5.0?  I'm wondering if
>they are actually going to be the same one.

By memory manager, I'm not sure what you mean.
MS DOS 5.0 takes advantage of the high memory area, with the ability to
load device drivers and TSR's in high memory (with himem.sys or some other
driver which emulates an XMS driver). On a normal installation, you can expect
to see 600-620K free at the command line.

>If that's the case, it seems to me that DOS 5.0 becomes a sensible
>transition for organizations hoping to move to Windows 3.0 from
>a text based DOS 3.3 environment.
>
>Comments?

I don't own DOS 5.0, nor do I have access to it. I have played with it enough
(4-5 hours worth) with a beta copy to get a good feel for it. (I have a freind
at Award Software who is beta-testing it). My impression of DOS 5.0 was
almost, but not quite "Why am I running OS/2?" :)

Windows 3.0 runs much faster under 5.0 than 3.3 or 4.1. It seems that some
of the re-entrancy issues have been dealt with, and the overall package
runs rather well. I'm not going to abandon OS/2 yet for DOS/Windows, but
it is a nice package. When 5.0 is finally realeased, I will be one of the
first in line at my local dealer's for a copy...

Cheers!
Steve

	resnicks@netcom.com, steve@camphq, IFNA:	1:143/105.0,
USNail: 530 Lawrence Expressway, Suite 374
        Sunnyvale, Ca 94086
- In real life: Steve Resnick. Flames, grammar and spelling errors >/dev/null
0x2b |~ 0x2b, THAT is the question.
The Asylum OS/2 BBS - (408)263-8017 12/2400,8,1 - Running Maximus CBCS 1.2