[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Borland C++ vs Microsoft C 5.10

mg@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Michael Golan) (03/20/91)

boyd_m@intertel.UUCP (Mark Boyd) writes:

>The company I work at has a large Windows program.  We just got Borland C++
>and made the necessary conversions and compiled it.  The size differences are
>quite surprising.
>   Microsoft C 5.1 .EXE:  720672 bytes
>       Borland C++ .EXE:  842848 bytes
>The optimization for Microsoft is -Os for space.  The optimization for Borland
>is all but -Z (aliasing).  I'm interested in knowing what everyone else is
>seeing.

Ok guys, anyone care to comment? I always felt that MSC produced shorter code
for any *REAL* program. The above test is not even fair to MS, as MSC6
produces a little shorter code (3-6% in my large programs). Also, -Os is
not optimal for code size (Despite what the manual say, you can reduce the
code a little more by playing with the options).

Brand new borland.com, are you listening? Prove us wrong or
give us a (slow version) compiler that produces shorter code!

 Michael Golan
 mg@princeton.edu