[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Windows 3.0 and ATI VGA board

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) (03/20/91)

/ benyukhi@motcid.UUCP (Ed Benyukhis) / 11:26 pm  Mar 12, 1991 / writes:

> Recently I have downloaded an ATI video driver that provides and OEM
> support for the ATI VGA Wonder to operate at full capacity under
> MS Windows 3.0.  I have had the driver installed and found that
> the speed of the screen updates has decreased 5 fold.  It has become
> so slow that I was forced to revert back to the MS supplied standard
> 640x480 VGA driver that is not capable of utilizing the board's
> full potential.  Does anyone have any suggestions????  Has anyone had
> similar problems???  This is a ATI Technologies VGA Wonder with
> 512Kb of VRAM and it is supposed to be able to provide a
> 1024x768 in the interlaced mode, etc....  Please post or e-mail and
> I will summarize to the net.

I have experience with all the 5 (4?) latest drivers from ATI (I own an
ATI VGA Wonder 512K --- someone mentioned lately I can get an upgrade
to the VGA Wonder Plus for US$99 from ATI directly, anyone to confirm
this ??).

Okay, back to the drivers. Below is a table of how much slow down
compared to the standard Windows 640 x 480 mode driver. These are just
my perception but more or less accurate. By the way, my ATI VGA Wonder
operates in 16 bit mode at 12.5 MHz bus speed.

	Mode				Slow Down Factor
	=====================		================
	 800x600 x  16			~1.0 to 1.3	**
	1024x768 x  16			~2.5 to 3.0
	 640x480 x 256			~2.0 to 2.5
	 800x600 x 256			~2.5 to 3.0
	1024x768 x 256			(not on my card)

800x600 x 16 is my normal mode of operation which gives good speed
and reasonable resolution on my 14 inch monitor. Going to 256 colors
slows things down significantly in all modes. But, my perception is
that it is barely tolerable under 800x600 x 256 when I need to mess
with 256 color pictures under Windows 3.0.

The 1024x768 mode somehow is quite a bit slower even in 16 colors.
Anyway, the size of characters in 1024x768 is far too small on a
14 inch monitor too be considered healthy.

Have fun.

Regards,     . .. ... .- -> -->## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
                                             Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>