[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Serial Comm. Under DOS

boutell@brahms.udel.edu (Thomas B Boutell) (03/15/91)

I'm in serious need of some straightforward interrupt- driven communications
code for DOS. I have Turbo C++, and I had a package written, but it only
ran on some machines, and *stopped* working when ported to Turbo C++! There
are just too many little bits to set, and I have no technical reference
manuals to go by any longer, so I'm lost.

So: does anybody have some simple interrupt- driven modem I/O routines
I could get my mitts on? Is there anything FTPable out there? Thanks.

big@vlsi.polymtl.ca (Patrick Drolet) (03/20/91)

In article <19665@brahms.udel.edu> boutell@brahms.udel.edu (Thomas B Boutell) writes:
>I'm in serious need of some straightforward interrupt- driven communications
>code for DOS. I have Turbo C++, and I had a package written, but it only
>ran on some machines, and *stopped* working when ported to Turbo C++! There
>are just too many little bits to set, and I have no technical reference
>manuals to go by any longer, so I'm lost.
>
>So: does anybody have some simple interrupt- driven modem I/O routines
>I could get my mitts on? Is there anything FTPable out there? Thanks.

I often preach for Fossil serial driver.  Fossil is a standard that handles serial ports on MS-DOS.  The best implementation of Fossil I know is X00 (... that's how it has been named! ...).  X00 is a VERY stable serial port driver that can
be loaded as a .SYS (device) or .EXE (resident).  It can support up to 8 com ports, with buffer size you specify, supports FIFO chips, and much, much more features...   X00 can be found on WUARCHIVE anonymous FTP.  Latest version of X00 is
actually X00v124.ZIP

By the way, X00 also has a break-out box for debugging.

						Patrick Drolet
						big@info.polymtl.ca

orenalex@bimacs.BITNET (oren alex) (03/24/91)

Residents and drivers for RS323 communications are just fine
-- but --
if i want to write my own-customized-super-special routines i'd like
to see some source code to get ideas from.

any help?