[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Paying for Shareware

cjl@uncecs.edu (Charles J. Lord) (03/23/91)

Sorry to add fuel to the fire, but two assertions in this thread
have really gotten me riled.  First off, the comment that a poster
wasn't going to send in any more shareware registrations for "every
little utility" he had, then Mr. Liddle asked 'why pay Phil Katz
for Zip because every BBS user has to have it' [a paraphrase].

The real issue is utility.  A program should be worth something to
you, otherwise you wouldn't bother with it.  If it helps you be
more productive, make money, enjoy computing more, or have a better
sex life - it is your moral obligation to reimburse the source of
that help.  THAT is the principle of shareware, and Phil recognises
it.  You can download PC-Write from the local system and try it out.
IF you find it better than WordPerfect for your needs then you should
pay the fee (a lot less than WP).  If not, then pay WP all their money
and use their product.  If you have no use for "Typing tutor", ignore
it and don't pay.  If you couldn't compute without PKUNZIP, then use
it - but for heaven's sake  pay at least some of the value back to the
author!
--
 *  Charles Lord               ..!decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!cjl  Usenet (old) *
 *  Cary, NC                   cjl@ecsvax.UUCP            Usenet (new) *

boutell@freezer.it.udel.edu (Tom Boutell) (03/24/91)

In the whole shareware discussion here, no one seems to have made the most
obvious reply to the guy whining about paying the PKZIP registration fee:
he claimed that you had to have it to use BBSes.

Ain't true. BBSes could use public domain compression programs instead.
But they don't. Why? PKZIP is better. Nobody's forcing us to use it,
we consider it *worth* it.

--
Dat be hip... dat be happening... DAT be a psuedoinstruction!
Call Burger King at 1-800-YES-1-800 and request a vegetarian entree!

cctr132@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (Nick FitzGerald, CSC, Uni. of Canterbury, NZ) (03/24/91)

In article <48650@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, boutell@freezer.it.udel.edu (Tom Boutell) writes:
> In the whole shareware discussion here, no one seems to have made the most
> obvious reply to the guy whining about paying the PKZIP registration fee:
> he claimed that you had to have it to use BBSes.
>
> Ain't true. BBSes could use public domain compression programs instead.
> But they don't. Why? PKZIP is better. Nobody's forcing us to use it,
> we consider it *worth* it.

Just to add my two cents worth (I can't actually - NZ no longer has 2c coins):
This guy doesn't have to use PKZIP *at all*.  He can download .ZIP's from a
BBS (or the net) and unzip them with DEZIP - a PD unzipper.  If he uses Phil's
excellent package anymore then he should register it.

 Nick FitzGerald, PC Applications Consultant, CSC, Uni of Canterbury, N.Z.
 Internet: n.fitzgerald@csc.canterbury.ac.nz        Phone: (64)(3) 642-337

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar24.124632.307@csc.canterbury.ac.nz> cctr132@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (Nick FitzGerald, CSC, Uni. of Canterbury, NZ) writes:
>This guy doesn't have to use PKZIP *at all*.  He can download .ZIP's from a
>BBS (or the net) and unzip them with DEZIP - a PD unzipper.  If he uses Phil's
>excellent package anymore then he should register it.

I don't follow this argument.  PKZIP is free - read the license you see when
you run "PKZIP -l".  I don't register other free software, so why should I
register this one?  Presumably DEZIP was written by someone - would you
say I should send money to them, even though they're not asking for it?

Duncan Murdoch
dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu