[comp.os.msdos.programmer] ansi escape sequences

davis@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu ("John E. Davis") (03/25/91)

Hi,

   What is the easiest way to send ansi escape sequences to the screen without
having ansi.sys loaded?  I imagine that there should be a simple driver
program that would interpret the escape sequence and write directly to the
screen.   Can this be done in a `graphics card' independent way if this needs
to be done only with ordinary ascii text files?

   The reason I want to know is that I wrote a paging program for unix/vms
that utilizes ansi escape sequences.  I want to port it to DOS but I do not
want to rewrite the io routines.

Thanks,

--
John

  bitnet: davis@ohstpy
internet: davis@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu

tabu6@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Adam Goldberg) (03/26/91)

In article <DAVIS.91Mar25000822@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu>, davis@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu ("John E. Davis") writes:
>Hi,
>
>   What is the easiest way to send ansi escape sequences to the screen without
>having ansi.sys loaded?  I imagine that there should be a simple driver
>program that would interpret the escape sequence and write directly to the
>screen.
>
>Thanks,
>John
>
>  bitnet: davis@ohstpy
>internet: davis@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu

There is no 'Simple Driver' to interpret the escape sequence.  Perhaps ANSI.SYS
could be optimized a little, but the very format of ANSI screen commands makes
an interpreter for those commands very difficult.

+ Adam Goldberg                         Bitnet:   tabu6@ISUVAX.BITNET        +
+ Iowa State University                 Internet: tabu6@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU    +
+ H: (515) 233-5135
+          "It's simple!  Even a Pascal programmer could do it!"             +

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.002048.27263@news.iastate.edu> tabu6@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU writes:

>There is no 'Simple Driver' to interpret the escape sequence.  Perhaps ANSI.SYS
>could be optimized a little, but the very format of ANSI screen commands makes
>an interpreter for those commands very difficult.

How about PC-Magazines ansi.com?

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37