[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Bugs in BC++ 2.0?

hagins@gamecock.rtp.dg.com (Jody Hagins) (03/22/91)

I tried to mail to borland.com, but it never makes it.
Does anyone have an email address for bug reports to Borland?
Sydney, are you out there?

I have, in my limited use of BC++ 2.0, noticed a couple of bugs.
Both of these require a reboot.

1. When I try to run PRJCFG as a transfer program, the machine locks
   up.  After rebooting, I see the .CFG file, having file size of 0.
   I only tried this with the parameter line of $PRJNAME.  I do not
   know if it fails if I directly give it a name.

2. In the project options (^O) menu, if I click (with mouse) in the
   "Output Path" section, the mouse cursor blinks rapidly, and while
   I can move the mouse, nothing else works.  Requires reboot.
   This happens if the filename for the project is a .lib or .obj.
   It ddoes not happen (the right thing happens) if the filename
   is .C, and the output file is .OBJ.  It occurs only when the
   input file is a .OBJ or .LIB, and you try to change the output file.
   Granted, I you might want to keep me from changing this, but the
   machine should not lock just by the click.

I am running DOS 3.3, 386/25, 4MB RAM, ATI Wonder card, and Logitech
mouse.

--

Jody Hagins
hagins@gamecock.rtp.dg.com

Nothing I ever say reflects the opinions of DGC.

sidney@borland.com (Sidney Markowitz) (03/22/91)

hagins@gamecock.rtp.dg.com (Jody Hagins) writes:
>I tried to mail to borland.com, but it never makes it.
>Does anyone have an email address for bug reports to Borland?
>Sydney, are you out there?

I don't know about Sydney, but Sidney's here :-), and mail is working
again.  In fact, some sites that couldn't reach us before we went down
now should be able to. The whole borland.com setup is still getting
the kinks worked out which is one of the reasons we aren't yet
providing tech support on it.

I am not in Tech Support, but I don't mind forwarding bug reports for
anyone who does not need confirmation or feedback. Normal tech support
and customer service type things will still have to go through the
normal channels (telephone, Compuserve, BIX, Genie, whatever). I'm
basically just responding to this one because I have a chance to and
to let everyone know that. I will not, in general, turn any newsgroup
into a Borland technical forum by responding to a lot of these types
of questions. But if anyone has a reproducible bug that they want to
make sure we know about, send it on to sidney@borland.com.

>1. When I try to run PRJCFG as a transfer program, the machine locks
>   up.  After rebooting, I see the .CFG file, having file size of 0.
>   I only tried this with the parameter line of $PRJNAME.  I do not
>   know if it fails if I directly give it a name.

It works fine on my machine. E-mail me your machine type, amount of
memory, other hardware, device drivers and TSRs loaded, all with model
and version numbers, and I'll pass it on. If you want to help us
narrow it down remove all device drivers and TSRs you can and see if
it makes a difference.

>2. In the project options (^O) menu, if I click (with mouse) in the
>   "Output Path" section [...] Requires reboot [...]
>   if the filename [...] is a .lib or .obj.

This has been reported before. It's not on purpose. But the workaround
is not to do that :-).

>I am running DOS 3.3, 386/25, 4MB RAM, ATI Wonder card, and Logitech
>mouse.

Since I can't reproduce #1, additional useful info would be a copy of
your config.sys and autoexec.bat, the version numbers on the drivers
and TSRs and a copy of the PRJ file you used (you can zip and uuencode
that for mailing). The more you can reduce and simplify before mailing
it the better.

 -- sidney markowitz <sidney@borland.com>
    Borland International (Languages - R&D)

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (03/27/91)

Here's one that's been around since TC++ 1.00:

GREP.COM does not display its options correctly.
To see what I mean:  first set "unix output format" permanently on:

	GREP -u -o

and then do:

	GREP ?

to display the new permanent settings.

It will show that the "w" option is "on" (wrong) and that the "o" is off
(also wrong).  This is due to a mix-up in an internal table of display offsets
within the program.  I have found and patched this in all three versions
of the C++ package (TC++ 1.00, 1.01, and BC++ 2.00).

Incidently, it would be REALLY HELPFUL if Borland would increment the version
numbers on the utility programs when they change the programs!!  All three
"versions" of GREP are marked as 3.0, even though they are not identical.

I have the patches somewhere if needed.
--
MLORD@BNR.CA  Ottawa, Ontario *** Personal views only ***
begin 644 NOTSHARE.COM ; Free MS-DOS utility - use instead of SHARE.EXE