[comp.os.msdos.programmer] library code for lharc or pkzip

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (03/16/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1991 23:06:55 GMT

Does anyone know if the library code for self-extracting archives
for lharc or pkzip are available for commercial use?

Thanks,

Tony

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (03/18/91)

:
>Does anyone know if the library code for self-extracting archives
>for lharc or pkzip are available for commercial use?

The authors do!

No, this comment is not meant to be snide, but in earnest in case
you had not come to think of this obvious alternative.  Both
packages include the addresses of the authors (for larch an email
adrress).  That way you get guaranteed correct answers.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

tabu6@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Adam Goldberg) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar17.162130.28148@uwasa.fi>, ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
>In article <1991Mar15.230655.22545@novell.com> tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) writes:
>>The News Manager)
>:
>>Does anyone know if the library code for self-extracting archives
>>for lharc or pkzip are available for commercial use?
>
>The authors do!

Not only do the authors know, they try to tell you.  As a part of the
distribution package of PKZIP I have, is a file called "LICENSE.DOC", a portion
of which is posted here:

>Distribution License
>
>Commercial and Governmental Use
>
>This allows distribution of the PKWARE software with software
>that is distributed by your company or government agency.
>(Please note that if you create a Self-Extracting file using the
>PKSFX program, you will need a license, since you would be
>sending out PKWARE code in the form of the PKSFX file combined
>with your file(s).) This license is non-exclusive and non-
>transferable.  Please complete and return the application for a
>distribution license on the reverse side of this form.  Once we
>receive the completed application, you will be sent a written
>quote for a one time Distribution License fee.  A sample
>Distribution Agreement is enclosed.  All licenses are prepaid.

If you don't have a copy of this file, I'd be happy to forward it to you.

+ Adam Goldberg                         H:(515)233-5135                      +
+ Iowa State University                 TABU6@ccvax.iastate.edu              +
+ "It's simple!  Even a Pascal programmer could do it!"                      +

jgay@digi.lonestar.org (john gay) (03/19/91)

From article <1991Mar15.230655.22545@novell.com>, by tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk):

> Does anyone know if the library code for self-extracting archives
> for lharc or pkzip are available for commercial use?

The library routines for pkzip is commercially available.  Phil Katz (sp?)
has an ad in either Dr. Dobb's, Computer Language, or C Users Journal.
I don't remember which.

john gay.

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (03/19/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1991 16:35:16 GMT

->>:
->>>Does anyone know if the library code for self-extracting archives
->>>for lharc or pkzip are available for commercial use?
->
->Not only do the authors know, they try to tell you.  As a part of the
->distribution package of PKZIP I have, is a file called "LICENSE.DOC"
->of which is posted here:
->
->>Distribution License
->>
->>Commercial and Governmental Use
-> [...]
->+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
->+ Adam Goldberg                         H:(515)233-5135                      +
->+ Iowa State University                 TABU6@ccvax.iastate.edu              +
->+ "It's simple!  Even a Pascal programmer could do it!"                      +
->+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

We *have* commercial distribution license. I was asking about the code.
I did get all the info I needed. Thanks to all who responded here and
who emailed me (Thanks, Chai!).

Tony

dougs@videovax.tv.tek.com (Doug Stevens) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar15.230655.22545@novell.com> tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) writes:
>Does anyone know if the library code for self-extracting archives
>for lharc or pkzip are available for commercial use?

PKWare data compression library is available for $295 (US). There are no
runtime royalties.
BBS (414) 354-8670
Fax (414) 354-8559