[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Borland

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (03/26/91)

Is it just me or is Borland royally shafting C developers?  I mean, we have
TP for Windows (which INCLUDES Windows classes!), we have TP 6.0 with
ObjectVision, and we have ObjectVision....all include GUI classes.  And now
we have BC++, which is highly popular, with NO GUI classes built in.  I
feel like we're getting ripped.

Then again, maybe I just don't want to code in Pascal and am whining....

*sigh*

daveg@intruder.clearpoint.com (Dave Goldblatt) (03/26/91)

[Sorry for what may seem to be a flame, but this stuff is really
starting to irk me.]

In article <27645@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:

   Is it just me or is Borland royally shafting C developers?  I mean, we have
   TP for Windows (which INCLUDES Windows classes!), we have TP 6.0 with
   ObjectVision, and we have ObjectVision....all include GUI classes.  And now
   we have BC++, which is highly popular, with NO GUI classes built in.  I
   feel like we're getting ripped.

Fine.  Don't use Borland, then.  Buy Microsoft C.  But wait!  It doesn't
include Windows classes either!  In fact, it doesn't even include a C++
compiler!

Borland has said that at some point they may add similar functionality
to Borland C++.  If you need them now, go out and buy a commercial
package!  There's plenty of them out there!  I'd much prefer that
Borland's R&D would be spent on enhancing their language products than
putting out classes which I'd probably end up rewriting anyway.

   Then again, maybe I just don't want to code in Pascal and am whining....

This sounds like it's the case.  Sorry, but you said it. :-)

Would you be willing to spend another $250 on the Borland C++ compiler if
they included a basic class library?  No?  Then what's the problem?

How much did you pay for your Borland C++?  Did you get it through the
upgrade?  Irregardless of that, sit down and figure out how much MS C 6.0
and the SDK would cost you.

"Getting ripped" certainly doesn't qualify.

   *sigh*

Yeah.  I'm sorry, but I'm really tired of this sort of complaint.  If
you need a GUI library, WRITE ONE.  Then give it away (a la GNU).

Needless to say, these are MY opinions.  You may share them, and if
so, I sympathize. :-)

-dg-
--
"..This kettle is boiling over       |  Dave Goldblatt [daveg@clearpoint.com]
 I think I'm a banana tree..         |  Software Engineering (Subsystems)

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (03/27/91)

In article <27645@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:

>Is it just me or is Borland royally shafting C developers?  I mean, we have
>TP for Windows (which INCLUDES Windows classes!), we have TP 6.0 with
>ObjectVision, and we have ObjectVision....all include GUI classes.  And now
>we have BC++, which is highly popular, with NO GUI classes built in.  I
>feel like we're getting ripped.
>
>Then again, maybe I just don't want to code in Pascal and am whining....

Well, considering that uSoft's alternative costs twice as much, it is not a bad
deal.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar26.212334.3100@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@SunOS (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
>In article <27645@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>>
>>Is it just me or is Borland royally shafting C developers?  I mean, we have
>>TP for Windows (which INCLUDES Windows classes!), we have TP 6.0 with
>>ObjectVision, and we have ObjectVision....all include GUI classes.  And now
>>we have BC++, which is highly popular, with NO GUI classes built in.  I
>>feel like we're getting ripped.
>>
>>Then again, maybe I just don't want to code in Pascal and am whining....
>>

>Well, considering that uSoft's alternative costs twice as much, it is not a bad
>deal.

Especially when you can take the money you would have paid Borland for those
classes and get a real Windows class library.  There are pleny of them out
there.  I imagine that's why they weren't included...  If you want them
you can get them, and Borland didn't want to stomp on any of those companies
if they didn't have to.

shaunc@gold.gvg.tek.com (Shaun Case) (03/28/91)

In article <27645@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>Is it just me or is Borland royally shafting C developers?  I mean, we have
>TP for Windows (which INCLUDES Windows classes!), we have TP 6.0 with
>ObjectVision, and we have ObjectVision....all include GUI classes.  And now
>we have BC++, which is highly popular, with NO GUI classes built in.  I
>feel like we're getting ripped.

It seems that Borland's Pascal development is always ahead of its C development.
Turbo Pascal was OOP long before Turbo C was.  Remember, Turbo Pascal is what
they started with, and I suppose their most experienced programmers are the TP
compiler writers.  If you wait a few months, I'll bet you will see ObjectVision
for BC++, once they let all those unsuspecting TP users iron out the bugs!  :-)

This is a hypothesis esoupsed by a friend; neither he nor I really have any clue
what the real story is, but it seems plausible.

--
Shaun Case:  shaunc@gold.gvg.tek.com  or  atman%ecst.csuchico.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
 or Shaun Case of 1:119/666.0 (Fidonet)  or  1@9651 (WWIVnet)