[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Need help determining the job market alright!

enzerinkp@topaz.ucq.edu.au (03/27/91)

In article <27664@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes

> I am going to be looking for a job pretty soon as an MS-DOS programmer.  I
> have a lot of experience, but unfortunately a lot of it is personal ...

I really feel I should reply to this one.
[flame on]
An MSDOS programmer hmm? Writen some fancy batch files in our time have we?
Seriously, if you had any decent amount of experience you would be doing some
part time work somewhere using your "personal" experience. It's been my
"personal" experience that some people have a rather sheltered view of the REAL
world as far the computer industry is concerned.

> ... Unfortunately, the wonderful University of Florida's
> abysmal CIS program concentrates on VAX Fortran/Pascal/Cobol which is of no
> use to me in the "real" world.  They just STARTED teaching C this semester!

Oh yes, those are useless languages aren't they? And a VAX! My what a worthless
machine. Fortran has been the principle language used by Engineers for more
years than I've been around. It is still used extensively. ANY pascal course
will teach the basics of programming. Sure you can't switch on your handy BGI
unit and develop none standard code, but we can't have everything. COBOL is
probably the most used language in any business environment. Get the idea?

Our college only started teaching 'C' this year, but then they have to go
through a learning curve as well, and they also have to determine whether it
has any large acceptance by the programming community.

I suggest you do your studies like a good little fellow; swallow your big ego,
and learn were programming started before you start making a career in
programming.

[flame off]

I am a student in my final year of a Bachelor of Applied Science in Computing.

--
                  Hello, Hello. What's going on here then?
^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^

roth@pdntg1.paradyne.com (Mike Rothman) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar27.092533.6991@topaz.ucq.edu.au> enzerinkp@topaz.ucq.edu.au writes:
>In article <27664@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes
>
>> I am going to be looking for a job pretty soon as an MS-DOS programmer.  I
>> have a lot of experience, but unfortunately a lot of it is personal ...
>
>I really feel I should reply to this one.
>[flame on]
>An MSDOS programmer hmm? Writen some fancy batch files in our time have we?
>Seriously, if you had any decent amount of experience you would be doing some
>part time work somewhere using your "personal" experience. It's been my
>"personal" experience that some people have a rather sheltered view of the REAL
>world as far the computer industry is concerned.
>
>> ... Unfortunately, the wonderful University of Florida's
>> abysmal CIS program concentrates on VAX Fortran/Pascal/Cobol which is of no
>> use to me in the "real" world.  They just STARTED teaching C this semester!
>
>Oh yes, those are useless languages aren't they? And a VAX! My what a worthless
>machine. Fortran has been the principle language used by Engineers for more
>years than I've been around. It is still used extensively. ANY pascal course
>will teach the basics of programming. Sure you can't switch on your handy BGI
>unit and develop none standard code, but we can't have everything. COBOL is
>probably the most used language in any business environment. Get the idea?
>
>Our college only started teaching 'C' this year, but then they have to go
>through a learning curve as well, and they also have to determine whether it
>has any large acceptance by the programming community.
>
>I suggest you do your studies like a good little fellow; swallow your big ego,
>and learn were programming started before you start making a career in
>programming.
>
>[flame off]
>
>I am a student in my final year of a Bachelor of Applied Science in Computing.
>
>--
>                  Hello, Hello. What's going on here then?
>^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
>Peter Enzerink                                       ENZERINKP@TOPAZ.UCQ.EDU.AU
>University College of Central Queensland

Ditto on all counts......

Coming from an experienced programmer who IS in the real world.
(Of course though PM C C++ REXX etc are nice to learn, but not necessary to
be in the Comp. Sci world)

Hell you can be a contractor and get experience testing and make ridiculous
$$

Have fun

Just my $.02

glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.155139.13349@pdn.paradyne.com> roth@pdntg1.paradyne.com (Mike Rothman) writes:
>In article <1991Mar27.092533.6991@topaz.ucq.edu.au> enzerinkp@topaz.ucq.edu.au writes:
>>In article <27664@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes
>>
> [lots os stuff deleted]
>
>Ditto on all counts......
>
>Coming from an experienced programmer who IS in the real world.
>(Of course though PM C C++ REXX etc are nice to learn, but not necessary to
>be in the Comp. Sci world)

I guess nobody out there is spending billions of dollars a year developing
applications in C and C++ on everything from a lowly XT to a Cray super
mainframe, huh? So which languages/systems/tools do you use that seem to
be the *only* important ones that *are* necessary to be "in the Comp. Sci
world"?? I have programmed on everything from an AT to a Cray, including
8088,80286/386, Sun workstations and servers, Apollo, VAX, Alliant, Perkin-
Elmer, Pyramid, CDC Cyber, several Cray architectures, etc., etc., running
Berkely Unix 4.2/4.3, System V Unix, Release 2/Edition VII, Xelos, UNICOS,
Xenix, NOS, COS, MSDOS, Ultrix, VMS, etc., etc., and languages like FORTRAN,
Lisp, Assembly, C, C++, Pascal, Modula-2, Ada, etc., etc. Which of these
are not important and/or not necessary? Anything out there that people are
using to solve everyday work problems are important and *are* part of the
comp. sci. world - not just the tools that *you* are using. The original
poster may be a bit naive, but consider for a moment how you started in
this business. You are not the center of the "computer science universe"!

Glenn