[comp.os.msdos.programmer] DOS 5.0 and machine slowdown.... HELP!!!!!

cl223400@ulkyvx.bitnet (03/28/91)

I too have tried a copy of MS-DOS 5.0 (I can't remember the beta version
number....), and I really like it.  But I run into one little problem.
When I boot up (I have a 16Mhz '286 with a meg of RAM) the machine, it loads
part of itself high, just like its supposed to do.  The only thing that's
wrong is that it slows my machine down to just a little over 8Mhz (8.34 I
believe) and then if I flip the switch to "low speed", it goes down to 8Mhz,
just like it should.  I usually run 3.3 with no problem whatsoever.  But when
I load 5.0, every utility I have says the machine is running at half speed.
Any suggestions as to what my problem is?)  I don't have the NEAT chipset, or
anything fancy like that, just 384K of plain vanilla extended memory.
Thanks in advance.

Whitney @ULKYVX

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar28.133538.1075@ulkyvx.bitnet> cl223400@ulkyvx.bitnet writes:
>I too have tried a copy of MS-DOS 5.0 (I can't remember the beta version
>number....), and I really like it.  But I run into one little problem.
>When I boot up (I have a 16Mhz '286 with a meg of RAM) the machine, it loads
>part of itself high, just like its supposed to do.  The only thing that's
>wrong is that it slows my machine down to just a little over 8Mhz (8.34 I
>believe) and then if I flip the switch to "low speed", it goes down to 8Mhz,
>just like it should.  I usually run 3.3 with no problem whatsoever.  But when
>I load 5.0, every utility I have says the machine is running at half speed.
>Any suggestions as to what my problem is?)  I don't have the NEAT chipset, or
>anything fancy like that, just 384K of plain vanilla extended memory.

I think your problem is slow extended memory.  DOS 5 loads itself into the
HMA and runs all of its stuff from there.  If your extended memory is slower
than your conventional memory, your computer will run slower when you load
DOS high.