[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Use XT as diskserver for 386

harmsen@cs.vu.nl (Harmsen H) (03/29/91)

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a 386 based machine, but I'd like to keep as
much as possible of the stuff in my XT. Since everybody tells me I can
forget about my RAM (EMS) and Harddisk, I was wondering if it would be
possible to have the 386 connected to the XT, with a device driver
running on the 386 which controls a RAM-disk on the XT, the harddisk
and the floppy-drives. Is there anybody who has been working on
something like this, or who has another solution? Please e-mail.

      H.P. Harmsen. (harmsen@cs.vu.nl)

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (03/30/91)

In article <9507@star.cs.vu.nl> harmsen@cs.vu.nl (Harmsen H) writes:
>Hello,
>
>I'm thinking of buying a 386 based machine, but I'd like to keep as
>much as possible of the stuff in my XT. Since everybody tells me I can
>forget about my RAM (EMS) and Harddisk, I was wondering if it would be
>possible to have the 386 connected to the XT, with a device driver
>running on the 386 which controls a RAM-disk on the XT, the harddisk
>and the floppy-drives. Is there anybody who has been working on
>something like this, or who has another solution? Please e-mail.
>
>      H.P. Harmsen. (harmsen@cs.vu.nl)

Eeek!  While what you want is technically possible, in practace it is
too slow for practical work.  What I mean by too slow is that you will
get "disk" transfer rates no faster than a floppy-- and possible even less.

The reason for this is the XT cannot keep up with the data-hungry speeds of
the XT.  In addition to plain-old CPU tasks, the interface between the two
machines cannot reach acceptable speeds without a ARCnet or Eithernet card.
At a cost that I gather you are not willing to pay.

The benifits of using "good" hardware on the 386 is great.  If you are on
a money pinch I suggest that you sell the XT, and use that money for your
386.  It is the only "good" solution...

--
David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            | do {
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) |    . . .