[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Maximum hard disk capacity

rap@la.excelan.com (Robert A. Pease) (04/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1991 23:08:24 GMT

I just looked at the BIOS reference and confirmed that the values for
cylinders, heads and sectors are limited to the following ranges;

Cylinders = 0 - 1023
Heads     = 0 - 15
Sectors   = 0 - 31

If I do my math right, this means that there are a total of 16384
sectors that the BIOS can address (1024 * 16 * 32 = 16384).  At 512 Kb
per sector, the maximum size HDU that the BIOS can get to is 262 Mb.

Now I know that you can put 300 Mb or 600 Mb hard disks on your
computer, but how does this work as far as addressability at the BIOS
level?
rap.

Robert A. Pease, Novell Inc.
Internet: rap@novell.COM

dj@bragi.ctron.com (DJ Delorie) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr4.230824.23481@novell.com> rap@la.excelan.com (Robert A. Pease) writes:
>Cylinders = 0 - 1023
>Heads     = 0 - 15
>Sectors   = 0 - 31
>
>If I do my math right, this means that there are a total of 16384
>sectors that the BIOS can address (1024 * 16 * 32 = 16384).  At 512 Kb
>per sector, the maximum size HDU that the BIOS can get to is 262 Mb.

The IBM BIOS Technical Reference Manual does not put such a limit on
the number of sectors, although the hard drive card may, allowing 8
bits (0-255).  Same for heads, which get 6 bits (0-63).  Combined, you
get 24 bits of sector addressing, for a total of 8 Gb per HDU.  Most
ESDI and SCSI cards work this way.

DJ
dj@ctron.com