[comp.os.msdos.programmer] MSDOS monochrome displays?

rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Robert Wier) (04/05/91)

 OK, I'm confused.  I have a situation where I'd like to display
 monochrome graphics in at least 16 shades of gray, preferably
 256 shades of gray.  This is data received from the GOES series
 of weather satellites.

 Now, I've asked everyone here, but mostly people know about color
 cga, ega, and vga boards.  No one seems to be running monochrome.

 I have several questions.  It would seem reasonable that an EGA
 board which can display 16 colors SHOULD be able to display 16
 shades of gray.  But I can't seem to be able to find anything
 on whether this can acutually be done.  We are running a variety
 of boards, such as the EVEREX EV-659 and the Ultimate EGA.  We
 have multi-sync type monitors made by Mitsubishi and others.
 We have software which indicates that we can run Hercules type
 compatible b&w graphics.  However, no where can I find a specification
 of exactly what type of monochrome graphics should be available
 (ie, 640 x 480 x 8 - which would give 256 shades of gray...)

 Now, we have some high priced AT Vista cards in the graphics lab,
 but that's really overkill.  I just need something relatively
 simple to display sat photos...

 I'd GREATLY appreciate any guidence with this.

 Please E-Mail or post

 THANKS!

 - Bob Wier

 -------------- insert favorite standard disclaimers here ----------
                      College of Engineering
         Northern Arizona University / Flagstaff, Arizona
  Internet: rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu | BITNET: WIER@NAUVAX | WB5KXH
                or   uucp:  ...arizona!naucse!rrw

dj@bragi.ctron.com (DJ Delorie) (04/05/91)

In article <3586@naucse.cse.nau.edu> rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Robert Wier) writes:

> OK, I'm confused.  I have a situation where I'd like to display
> monochrome graphics in at least 16 shades of gray, preferably
> 256 shades of gray.  This is data received from the GOES series
> of weather satellites.

> I have several questions.  It would seem reasonable that an EGA
> board which can display 16 colors SHOULD be able to display 16
> shades of gray.

An EGA board with a color monitor can display up to four shades of
grey at a time.  The reason?  The TTL signals for an EGA supply two
bits per color (R,G,B).  Total of 64 colors, four of which are grey.

An EGA with a MONOCHROME EGA monitor can display up to sixteen greys
at a time, but the EGA card itself thinks they're colors.  The monitor
converts the TTL signals to greys instead of RGB.

An EGA with a vanilla mono monitor (ie: from an MDA) is limited to
four greys again, because the monitor only watches two of the TTL
signals.

A VGA can display up to 64 greys at a time, as it's palette has six
bits per color, regardless of the type of VGA monitor you attach to
it.  This still gives you 192 pixel values left in 256 color mode to
do simulated color if you want.  Of course, 16 greys in 16-color mode
is no problem for VGA.

DJ
dj@ctron.com

osmoviita@cc.helsinki.fi (04/07/91)

In article <1399@bragi.ctron.com>, dj@bragi.ctron.com (DJ Delorie) writes:
> In article <3586@naucse.cse.nau.edu> rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Robert Wier) writes:
>>
>> OK, I'm confused.  I have a situation where I'd like to display
>> monochrome graphics in at least 16 shades of gray, preferably
>> 256 shades of gray.  This is data received from the GOES series
>> of weather satellites.
>
> A VGA can display up to 64 greys at a time, as it's palette has six
> bits per color, regardless of the type of VGA monitor you attach to
> it.  This still gives you 192 pixel values left in 256 color mode to
> do simulated color if you want.  Of course, 16 greys in 16-color mode
> is no problem for VGA.
>
> DJ
> dj@ctron.com

Some newer SuperVGA cards like Orchid ProDesigner II have 6/8 bit DACs, so
they should be able to show 256 shades of gray if you know how to switch
from 6 bit mode to 8 bit mode. I don't know and if someone can tell please
do it. Orchid PD II is a Tseng ET4000 based card.

Kari Osmoviita

joe@proto.com (Joe Huffman) (04/09/91)

dj@bragi.ctron.com (DJ Delorie) writes in an otherwise flawless posting:

>An EGA with a vanilla mono monitor (ie: from an MDA) is limited to
>four greys again, because the monitor only watches two of the TTL
>signals.

EGA mode 0x0F (for use with the "vanilla ... MDA") has four "colors".
Black, white (green on the IBM 5151), high intensity white, and blink.
Blinking pixels on the screen would appear to have little use in simulating
another shade of grey.

--
joe@proto.com

dj@bragi.ctron.com (DJ Delorie) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr08.184731.8800@proto.com> joe@proto.com (Joe Huffman) writes:
>dj@bragi.ctron.com (DJ Delorie) writes in an otherwise flawless posting:
>
>>An EGA with a vanilla mono monitor (ie: from an MDA) is limited to
>>four greys again, because the monitor only watches two of the TTL
>>signals.
>
>EGA mode 0x0F (for use with the "vanilla ... MDA") has four "colors".
>Black, white (green on the IBM 5151), high intensity white, and blink.
>Blinking pixels on the screen would appear to have little use in simulating
>another shade of grey.

You can shut off the blink with a BIOS call (or if not, through
hardware), giving you:

black
"intense" (dim)
normal
normal & "intense"

The monochrome monitor has two digital inputs, for a total of *four*
intensity levels.  The EGA card is capable of driving the lines in all
four states, giving four available intensity levels.

The *default* behavior, however, is to simulate blinking for the
benefit of backward compatibility.

I know it works this way because I wrote a graphics terminal emulator
that used EGA, vanilla Mono monitor, and mode 0x0f, and it produced
four levels of intensity - and no blinking.

DJ