[comp.os.msdos.programmer] What your favorite editor for programming?

scott@cs.hw.ac.uk (Scott Telford) (03/28/91)

In article <21481@shlump.nac.dec.com> heintze@fmcsse.enet.dec.com
(Sieg Heintze) writes:
>... I started to do it in ZWB (zortech's
>editor) where they let you  define a single macro.  Unfortunatly, I could not
>figure out how to specify a  repeat count!  (I hope this is a feature missing
>from the documentation.  I  cannot imagine implementing a macro feature in an
>editor and not letting the  user specify a repeat count!)

>After giving up on ZWB and TC (Borlands editor) I finally uploaded to VMS
>where I used my EVE extensions to do it in a couple of key strokes and then
>downloaded it again.  What a pain.  There SHOULD be a better way.

>What is your favorite way of executing something repeatedly in MSDOS?

This sort of thing's really easy in MicroEMACS. You press Ctrl-X ( to
start recording a keyboard macro, Ctrl-X ) to stop and Ctrl-X E to play
it back. You can set a repeat count with ESC <number> Ctrl-X E. I expect
Jove and other DOS Emacsen to work similarly.

Of course, everybody should be using Emacs-type editors...I would never use
anything else ;^)
| Scott Telford, Dept of Computer Science,               scott@cs.hw.ac.uk    |
| Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK.                 scott%hwcs@ukc.uucp  |
|_____ "Expect the unexpected." (The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy) ______|

davis@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu ("John E. Davis") (03/30/91)

In article <2648@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> scott@cs.hw.ac.uk (Scott Telford) writes:
[...]
   Of course, everybody should be using Emacs-type editors...I would never use
   anything else ;^)

Which emacs editor do people use for pc's?  I know of only two: MicroEmacs and
Freemacs.  I find Micro-Emacs kind of buggy (I cannot redefine ^U-- try it;
the functions have different names than emacs, eg, bind-to-key vs
global-set-key) and Freemacs has a wierd extension language (mint).  Which of
these two emacs-like editors (assuming only two) do most people prefer?
(either email or post an opinion and I will post a summary)

Since I have totally redefined my keys from the normal emacs bindings, I
cannot use an editor which does not allow me to redefine the keys. So I do not
consider an emacs-type editor which does not allow me to redefine the keys to
be an emacs-type editor.  At this point I use MicroEmacs but it only supports
two keymaps: ^X and ^[.  What about Freemacs?  Does it support multiple
keymaps?  If so then I would appreciate it if someone were to send me a sample
mint source for Freemacs which redefines some keys and things.  In addition,
does Freemacs blink matching {}[]() like emacs and does it have a C-mode?

Thanks,

--
John

  bitnet: davis@ohstpy
internet: davis@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (03/30/91)

davis@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu ("John E. Davis") writes:

>Which emacs editor do people use for pc's?  I know of only two: MicroEmacs and
>Freemacs.  I find Micro-Emacs kind of buggy (I cannot redefine ^U-- try it;
>the functions have different names than emacs, eg, bind-to-key vs
>global-set-key) and Freemacs has a wierd extension language (mint).

Jove 4.14.  Non-buggy, faster than either uEmacs or Freemacs, no 64Kb
limit, identically available on UNIX.  No extension language (only
simple macros) but the command set is both sufficiently GNU Emacs-like
and sufficiently embellished that I've almost never missed having an
extension language for the sorts of things I do with Jove on the 386
DOS box -- mostly C coding (this is from an inveterate Emacs Lisp
tinkerer).  Jove has nice compilation (including parse-errors) and
tags (find-tag, find-tag-at-point) and process (filter-region,
shell-command-to-buffer, etc.) support, and has been a very pleasant
development environemnt for me for several years now.

//richard

mrs@netcom.COM (Morgan Schweers) (03/31/91)

In article <DAVIS.91Mar29150352@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> davis@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu  (John E. Davis) writes:
>In article <2648@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> scott@cs.hw.ac.uk (Scott Telford) writes:
>[...]
>   Of course, everybody should be using Emacs-type editors...I would never use
>   anything else ;^)
>

>Which emacs editor do people use for pc's?  I know of only two: MicroEmacs and
>Freemacs.  I find Micro-Emacs kind of buggy (I cannot redefine ^U-- try it;
>the functions have different names than emacs, eg, bind-to-key vs
>global-set-key) and Freemacs has a wierd extension language (mint).  Which of
>these two emacs-like editors (assuming only two) do most people prefer?
>(either email or post an opinion and I will post a summary)
Greetings,
    I *SWEAR* by Freemacs.  It is VERY similar to GNU-Emacs, it's language is
somewhat like LisP (but not really...), and it's *REALLY* easy to configure.

    Some suggestions:  Try playing with the following keystrokes under
Freemacs:

<ESC>-x edit-options         /*  Allows you to change all the basic options */
<ESC>-x ek                   /*  Allows you to edit the key-setups (*GREAT*!)*/
<ESC>-x ef                   /*  Allows you to edit the functions...  This is
                                 dangerous...  Be *CAREFUL*.  */

    If you've loaded the entire Freemacs distribution properly, you should be
able to enter C-mode just by editing a file with a '.C' or '.H' extension.  If
not, read the docs to see how to do it.

    The only annoying thing about the documentation is that it doesn't give a
good reference on how to force the editor to load your own library at the
beginning.  However, since all the code is supplied with it, I read the code.

    For those not interested in doing that, here's a USER.MIN that you can
compile (using C-c C-c) that will create your USER.ED.  It contains a tiny
routine (a keyboard macro, actually) that will swap '/' with '\' one at a
time.  It could have been done nicer, but it was just to figure out how to
create my USER.ED, so it didn't have to be pretty.
    All U: functions are available from <ESC>-x, as well as (obviously)
bindable to keys through the <ESC>-x ek function.

    IF, however, you wish to edit *ALL* your keys at once (the 'ek' function
only allows one at a time, as I recall) you should play with '<ESC>-x ef K.'
as a key-series.  This will take *A LONG TIME* loading the entire key bindings,
disassembling them, then placing them into a buffer.  You can then edit it,
and recompile it with C-c C-c.  (The recompilation will also take a long time,
as it recompiles every key definitition...)  What '<ESC>-x ef K.' means is,
essentially, 'edit all functions which begin with "K."'  The K. functions
happen to be the key-bindings...  Make a printout of EMACS.EDD (and any other
.EDD files you have laying around) and redefine your keys to your hearts
content.  (I *strongly* suggest reading your docs...)

------------ if you cut here your machine will crash -----------
[*]
#(ds,Ufilename,user)
#(ds,Umodified)
#(Fsave-lib,U)
[*]

Name:U:swap-fslash-bslash
[*]#(Frun-kbd-macro,C-s<>/<>Esc<>Back Space<>\<>)[*]

------- cut here --------
>Since I have totally redefined my keys from the normal emacs bindings, I
>cannot use an editor which does not allow me to redefine the keys. So I do not
>consider an emacs-type editor which does not allow me to redefine the keys to
>be an emacs-type editor.  At this point I use MicroEmacs but it only supports
>two keymaps: ^X and ^[.  What about Freemacs?  Does it support multiple
>keymaps?  If so then I would appreciate it if someone were to send me a sample
>mint source for Freemacs which redefines some keys and things.  In addition,
>does Freemacs blink matching {}[]() like emacs and does it have a C-mode?
     I'm not sure about how the keymaps are designed in Freemacs, but it will
happily blink {}[]() just like the EMACS I'm using online just did. <Grin>
(As I said, it does have a C-mode, also settable through <ESC>-x c-mode)

>Thanks,
>
>--
>John

    You're welcome...

                                                         --  Morgan Schweers
+-----------
    My opinions aren't the opinions of my company, but they are the opinions
of the other programmer...  <Grin>
                                    mrs@netcom.com, ms@gnu.ai.mit.edu
-----------+

scott@cs.hw.ac.uk (Scott Telford) (03/31/91)

In article <DAVIS.91Mar29150352@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu>
davis@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu  (John E. Davis) writes:
>Which emacs editor do people use for pc's?  I know of only two: MicroEmacs and
>Freemacs.  I find Micro-Emacs kind of buggy (I cannot redefine ^U-- try it;
>the functions have different names than emacs, eg, bind-to-key vs
>global-set-key) and Freemacs has a wierd extension language (mint).  Which of
>these two emacs-like editors (assuming only two) do most people prefer?
>(either email or post an opinion and I will post a summary)

Of course, there's Jove as well... it's closer to GNU Emacs than
MicroEMACS (especially keybinding-wise), and has some clever bits, but
doesn't have a proper macro language.

In article <1991Mar31.084555.24713@netcom.COM> mrs@netcom.COM (Morgan Schweers) writes:
   In article <DAVIS.91Mar29150352@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> davis@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu  (John E. Davis) writes:

   >What about Freemacs?  Does it support multiple keymaps?  If so
   >then I would appreciate it if someone were to send me a sample
   >mint source for Freemacs which redefines some keys and things.  In
   >addition, does Freemacs blink matching {}[]() like emacs and does
   >it have a C-mode?

        I'm not sure about how the keymaps are designed in Freemacs,
   but it will happily blink {}[]() just like the EMACS I'm using
   online just did. <Grin> (As I said, it does have a C-mode, also
   settable through <ESC>-x c-mode)

As long as you have C.ed online, Freemacs will automagically enter C-mode
when you edit a ".c" or ".h" file.

Freemacs has multiple keymaps.  It comes with the GNU Emacs C-x, M-, and
C-c maps, but you can define as many as you want.  For example, you can define
C-c C-y to next-line like this:

Name:K.C-c C-y
[*]F:next-line[*]

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

BMS101@psuvm.psu.edu (04/01/91)

Question: What is the benefit of using an Emacs styled editor? I have tried
      a few and found them cumbersome at best. The learning curve appears
      quite stiff. I understand preferences and the like but this is a serious
      question.
-----------------
              B  O  R  N    T  O    C  O  D  E !
Luck is directly    |BRADLEY SMALL        | Is it really "PROGRAMMING"
proportional to how |BMS101 AT PSUVM      | when it works right the
hard one works!     |BMS101@PSUVM.PSU.EDU | first time.

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (04/02/91)

In article <DAVIS.91Mar29150352@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> davis@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu  (John E. Davis) writes:
>In article <2648@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> scott@cs.hw.ac.uk (Scott Telford) writes:
>[...]
>   Of course, everybody should be using Emacs-type editors...I would never use
>   anything else ;^)
>

>Which emacs editor do people use for pc's?  I know of only two: MicroEmacs and
>Freemacs.  I find Micro-Emacs kind of buggy (I cannot redefine ^U-- try it;
>the functions have different names than emacs, eg, bind-to-key vs
>global-set-key) and Freemacs has a wierd extension language (mint).  Which of
>these two emacs-like editors (assuming only two) do most people prefer?
>(either email or post an opinion and I will post a summary)

I use Micro-Emacs, mainly because a Win-3 port is now available. No more
running in a DOS box under Win-3, it is a true Win-3 app.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (04/04/91)

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:

>I use Micro-Emacs, mainly because a Win-3 port is now available. No more
>running in a DOS box under Win-3, it is a true Win-3 app.

Windows sucks dead bunnies through a straw, but I'd still like to get
ahold of this port.  Is it ftp'able somewhere?

>Russ Poffenberger               DOMAIN: poffen@sj.ate.slb.com
>Schlumberger Technologies       UUCP:   {uunet,decwrl,amdahl}!sjsca4!poffen
>1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
>San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

Hey, I use one of your Factron 635s.  Have you updated your chip files
in the last year or so?

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

plb@dcdwest.uucp (Phil Blais) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr4.055841.20061@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) writes:
>poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
>
>>I use Micro-Emacs, mainly because a Win-3 port is now available. No more
>>running in a DOS box under Win-3, it is a true Win-3 app.
>
>Windows sucks dead bunnies through a straw, but I'd still like to get
>ahold of this port.  Is it ftp'able somewhere?
>
>>Russ Poffenberger               DOMAIN: poffen@sj.ate.slb.com
>>Schlumberger Technologies       UUCP:   {uunet,decwrl,amdahl}!sjsca4!poffen
>>1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
>>San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254
>
>Hey, I use one of your Factron 635s.  Have you updated your chip files
>in the last year or so?
>

>--
>Dan Griffin
>griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

I wasn't aware that anything other than 'vi' was considered an editor :-)

--
phil blais  N6KXD (ex WD6ETL)    ITT    Aerospace Communications Division
dcdwest!plb@ucsd.edu           DEFENSE    10060 Carroll Canyon Road