[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Setting the Turbo mode by software

mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.104737.9962@cc.newcastle.edu.au>, eepjm@cc.newcastle.edu.au writes:

%% How does one tell MS-DOS that it's in-memory copies of a disk FAT and
%% directory are invalid - i.e. how can one force it to re-read the disk rather
%% than rely on its obsolete in-memory copy?  Re-booting the machine works
%% (but by then it's usually too late, another disk-full of vital files has
%% been corrupted), but I'd like to have a less drastic solution.

Just press Ctrl-C at DOS prompt! Try Ctrl-Break if it doesn't work.
--
Adam Mirowski,  mir@chorus.fr (FRANCE),  tel. +33 (1) 30-64-82-00 or 74
Chorus systemes, 6, av.Gustave Eiffel, 78182 Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines CEDEX

** Sender Unknown ** (04/15/91)

eepjm@cc.newcastle.edu.au writes:

> How does one tell MS-DOS that it's in-memory copies of a disk FAT and
> directory are invalid - i.e. how can one force it to re-read the disk rather
> than rely on its obsolete in-memory copy?

This doesn't universally work across all OEM versions of DOS, but...  The
CP/M ritual of using a Control-C to force a re-read of the disk's vitals
can be found on some DOS versions.  It's not very helpful if you have even
a simple disk cache (other than BUFFERS=?? in config.sys) running.
The smart way to do it probably involves an ioctl call to the driver.
-- Bob

               Bob Izenberg
         cs.utexas.edu!dogface!bei   [ ]   "So young, so bad... So what!"
             512 346 7019                        Wendy O. Williams