[comp.os.msdos.programmer] editor

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (04/11/91)

In article <cs352a41.671291368@zippy>, cs352a41@cs.iastate.edu (Class login) writes:
> jearly@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (John Early) writes:
> WordStar would be able to edit it.  EDLIN would LET YOU THINK that you were
> editing the whole thing, when in fact, you would only be editing 40,000 (or
> was it 4,000) lines--if you saved, you would effectively truncate the file.

Not true. EDLIN reads in the file in chunks. Edit what you want in the
first chunk, use the W command to write it out, use A to read in some more....

I don't claim it's easy. But it works. And, if you issue the E command to exit,
it does copy the rest of the input file across.

The person who inquired could look at an editor called the Technical Editor,
available on SIMTEL20 as TE25.ZIP (not sure of the directory). It's
shareware, $35 ($45 with source). It will edit files up to 32MB.
Bob Eager                | University of Kent at Canterbury

krouse-p@liter.cis.ohio-state.edu (Pierce Krouse) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.184259.2993@demott.com> kdq@demott.com (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:
>    Brief is an excellent editor, but (IMNSHO) Epsilon is much better.
>Version 5 can split screen vertically as well as horizontally, scroll
>horizontally, edit and manipulate rectangular regions of text.  The
>extension language is C-like, and most of the editor is written in the
>extension language (sources and compiler provided).

Hmmm .. not one to knock Epsilon, having never used it, but BRIEF will do all
the things you mention above.  How is Epsilon better?  Maybe I misunderstand
what you are saying in the features list above.  I'm just curious as to the
differences that must exist.

jln@leland.Stanford.EDU (Jared Nedzel) (04/12/91)

In article <106457@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> krouse-p@liter.cis.ohio-state.edu (Pierce Krouse) writes:

>Hmmm .. not one to knock Epsilon, having never used it, but BRIEF will do all
>the things you mention above.  How is Epsilon better?  Maybe I misunderstand
>what you are saying in the features list above.  I'm just curious as to the
>differences that must exist.

Epsilon is emacs-like.  Consequently, you can control the cursor motions
without having to move your hands from your typing position, whereas with
brief, you end up moving your right hand over to the cursor pad and then
having to re-align your right hand with the keyboard.  In Epsilon (or emacs),
you use commands like c-f (control-f) to go forward, c-d to delete, etc.
This takes some time to learn, but can be quite efficient after you've
learned it. (Of course, you could probably customize Brief to behave
similarly to many emacs commands.)

Jared L. Nedzel  nedzel@cive.stanford.edu   jln@portia.stanford.edu

kdq@demott.com (Kevin D. Quitt) (04/12/91)

In article <106457@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> krouse-p@liter.cis.ohio-state.edu (Pierce Krouse) writes:
>Hmmm .. not one to knock Epsilon, having never used it, but BRIEF will do all
>the things you mention above.  How is Epsilon better?  Maybe I misunderstand
>what you are saying in the features list above.  I'm just curious as to the
>differences that must exist.

    Key bindings are basically emacs', extension language is C-like.
It's been several years since I've used Brief, and I don't really knock
it - it's a good editor, but I don't like the user interface (personal
taste only).

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.160159.11372@novell.com>, tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) wrote:
}The News Manager)
}In article <1491@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> jearly@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (John Early) writes:
}>Last night I wanted to edit a DOS file that was 1243651 bytes long.  I only
}>found one real editor in my collection that would do it: Borland's Sprint.
}
}Brief will edit it, Sage will, even though I am not crazy of
}either.  Question: How many times do you have a file of this size to
}work with?  I think I would rather stick to my "limited to memory" and
}fast like a lightning editor and use a word processor in a text-only
}mode for those rare events when I have an elephant to edit. There is a
}good chance some of those editors will start making use of 386 ability
}to address extended memory, and all the problems will be over.

Why not have both speed and unlimited file size?  Epsilon will search
through an entire 1 meg file (for a nonexistent string) in only 1.5
seconds on my 386, and uses EMS memory if available for storing the
files you are working on (it can also swap to one or more disks if
needed).  For files which Qedit can handle, Epsilon is just as fast as
Qedit, and in fact loads the files more quickly.

--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf  ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/3.1
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask

jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr10.184259.2993@demott.com> kdq@demott.com (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:

>    Brief is an excellent editor, but (IMNSHO) Epsilon is much better.
>Version 5 can split screen vertically as well as horizontally, scroll
>horizontally, edit and manipulate rectangular regions of text.  The
>extension language is C-like, and most of the editor is written in the
>extension language (sources and compiler provided).

Brief can also split the screen both ways, scroll vertically and horizontally,
manipulate rectangular regions of text.  It has two macro languages: the
original LISP-like macro language and the new C-like macro language.  Just
like Epsilon, a large part of Brief is written in the extension langauage,
and the compiler and source is provided.

Brief has a much more intuitive user interface than the EMACS interface
Epsilon uses.  And the recently released Brief 3.1 has mouse support.

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway

kdq@demott.com (Kevin D. Quitt) (04/13/91)

In article <4803@gumby.Altos.COM> jerry@altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) writes:

>Brief has a much more intuitive user interface than the EMACS interface
>Epsilon uses.  And the recently released Brief 3.1 has mouse support.

    Actually, the user interface is what I like least about Brief.

--
 _

salaman@upr2.clu.net (Victor Salaman) (04/14/91)

In article <2805be69@ralf> Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>In article <1991Apr10.160159.11372@novell.com>, tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) wrote:
>}The News Manager)
>}In article <1491@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> jearly@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (John Early) writes:
>}>Last night I wanted to edit a DOS file that was 1243651 bytes long.  I only
>}>found one real editor in my collection that would do it: Borland's Sprint.
>}
>}Brief will edit it, Sage will, even though I am not crazy of
>}either.  Question: How many times do you have a file of this size to
>}work with?  I think I would rather stick to my "limited to memory" and
>}fast like a lightning editor and use a word processor in a text-only
>}mode for those rare events when I have an elephant to edit. There is a
>}good chance some of those editors will start making use of 386 ability
>}to address extended memory, and all the problems will be over.
>
>Why not have both speed and unlimited file size?  Epsilon will search
>through an entire 1 meg file (for a nonexistent string) in only 1.5
>seconds on my 386, and uses EMS memory if available for storing the
>files you are working on (it can also swap to one or more disks if
>needed).  For files which Qedit can handle, Epsilon is just as fast as
>Qedit, and in fact loads the files more quickly.
>
>--
>{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf  ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/3.1
>BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask
>DISCLAIMER?  Did  | It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's
>I claim something?| what we know that ain't so.  --Will Rogers

is Epsilon a {shareware|freeware|pd|peeware} program? and Where can I get it?

							Thanks.

.

ralf+@cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr14.101929.21388@upr2.clu.net> salaman@upr2.clu.net (Victor Salaman) writes:
}is Epsilon a {shareware|freeware|pd|peeware} program? and Where can I get it?

Payware.  You can ask your favorite software dealer (who will probably have
it for less than the $195 list price), or call/write:

	Lugaru Software
	5843 Forbes Ave
	Pittsburgh, PA 15217
	(412) 421-5911

--

hnridder@cs.ruu.nl (Ernst de Ridder) (04/15/91)

In <4803@gumby.Altos.COM> jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) writes:

>like Epsilon, a large part of Brief is written in the extension langauage,
>and the compiler and source is provided.
In Epsilon the division between user and kernel-layer is neater (at least
when I examined Brief, about 1.5 yrs ago).  EEL (Epsilon Extension Language)
is (was) faster than the Brief extension language.

>brief has a much more intuitive user interface than the EMACS interface
>Epsilon uses.  And the recently released Brief 3.1 has mouse support.
	"intuitive" is a matter of personal taste and also a real buzz
word: nowadays, every program is called intuitive.  The "intuitive
user interface" was invented when programmers discovered that most
users prefer simplicity above power.  I sometimes wonder whether
anybody understands the meaning and importance of it.  I never saw a
power-program which can be used intuitively (using your intuition
instead of the manual/your memory).  I did encounter programs which
are easier to learn than others.  And I do prefer spending some time
learning a great tool, then being able to use something powerless
without learning it; I just would miss the features.

But to return to Brief <--> Epsilon:
	Using Emacs-style keybindings it is possible to touchtype,
which is faster than looking at the keyboard and using two fingers.
Another advantage is minimal dependance on the keyboard layout and the
wide range of emacs-style editors that is available. (easier to move
to another platform).
	In editors, mice are a Crime with capital C.  When you edit,
you've got your fingers on the keyboard and your eyes on the screen or
a paper (normally).  It really slows down to move your hand from the
keyboard to the mouse, moving it, and then repositioning your hand at
the keyboard.  Mice are NOT NEEDED in a good editor.

Ernst

P.S.
	I know above doesn't sound friendly and does sound a bit
arrogant, but I'm just getting sick of the talk about
user-friendliness, mice and intuitive user-interfaces.  Please take no
offence.
--
	Qualitas qualitatem inducit. Semper ego qualitatem.

popa
iret

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr11.231058.12652@demott.com> kdq@demott.com (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:
>In article <106457@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> krouse-p@liter.cis.ohio-state.edu (Pierce Krouse) writes:
>>Hmmm .. not one to knock Epsilon, having never used it, but BRIEF will do all
>>the things you mention above.  How is Epsilon better?  Maybe I misunderstand
>>what you are saying in the features list above.  I'm just curious as to the
>>differences that must exist.

Sounds like this could be another matter of taste type arguments like UNIX vs.
MAC vs. DOS.

Everybody has their own opinions, basically the RIGHT editor is what you feel
comfortable with.

Personally I like the new Windows 3.0 port of micro-emacs. When under windows
I MUST have a true Windows app editor so that I can use the mouse and such.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

dougs@videovax.tv.tek.com (Doug Stevens) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr15.093654.13172@cs.ruu.nl>, hnridder@cs.ruu.nl (Ernst de Ridder) writes:
> 	In editors, mice are a Crime with capital C ...
> 	Mice are NOT NEEDED in a good editor.

There's no reason that an editor cannot include both mouse and key support.
I use both: keystrokes for executing commands (I really don't care for
pull-down menus, they are much too slow), and the mouse for marking areas of
text (leaning on the cursor key, over-shooting, and backing up is too slow).

The only thing that irks me is when an editor requires me to use the tool which
is more cumbersome for the task at hand.