[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Intercepting "Abort, Retry, Ignore or Fail" messages?

tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) (04/16/91)

I recall a short time ago someone asking about how to do this but
didn't think I'd need this info so of course didn't save it.

I wonder if someone could send my way the method of stopping
the Abort, Retry... message from appearing. I want to be able to go to
A: through my program, and be told that it's not available so I can
continue without bringing up the (arf).

Thanks for any help (by the way, I examined all the previous articles
that I have (123 of them) and it must be farther back than that).

Carl Schelin
tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu

hagins@gamecock.rtp.dg.com (Jody Hagins) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr16.121117.19460@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) writes:
|> I recall a short time ago someone asking about how to do this but
|> didn't think I'd need this info so of course didn't save it.
|>
|> I wonder if someone could send my way the method of stopping
|> the Abort, Retry... message from appearing. I want to be able to go to
|> A: through my program, and be told that it's not available so I can
|> continue without bringing up the (arf).
|>
|> Thanks for any help (by the way, I examined all the previous articles
|> that I have (123 of them) and it must be farther back than that).
|>
|> Carl Schelin
|> tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu

Check out SIMTEL20:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.C>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
INT24-C2.ZIP  B    3303  900416  C routine intercepts Abort/Retry/Ignore prompt

--

Jody Hagins
hagins@gamecock.rtp.dg.com

Nothing I ever say reflects the opinions of DGC.

d90-awe@dront.nada.kth.se (Assar Westerlund) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.121117.19460@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) writes:
>I recall a short time ago someone asking about how to do this but
>didn't think I'd need this info so of course didn't save it.
>
>I wonder if someone could send my way the method of stopping
>the Abort, Retry... message from appearing. I want to be able to go to
>A: through my program, and be told that it's not available so I can
>continue without bringing up the (arf).

The "abort, retry... " message is called a critical error by DOS. When
a critical error occurs, dos calls INT 24h. What you should be able to
do is intercept INT 24h and print your own message or do whatever you
want...

To see the parameters used by the INT 24h call, look it up in a DOS
programming book, like Peter Norton's, or one of these interrupts
list. If you're unable to do this, e-mail me and I'll try to send you
the information.

/Assar

Assar Westerlund
Address: d90-awe@nada.kth.se

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr16.163747.6761@dg-rtp.dg.com> hagins@gamecock.rtp.dg.com (Jody Hagins) writes:
>In article <1991Apr16.121117.19460@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) writes:
>|> I recall a short time ago someone asking about how to do this but
>|> didn't think I'd need this info so of course didn't save it.
>|>
>|> I wonder if someone could send my way the method of stopping
>|> the Abort, Retry... message from appearing. I want to be able to go to
>|> A: through my program, and be told that it's not available so I can
>|> continue without bringing up the (arf).
>|>
>|> Thanks for any help (by the way, I examined all the previous articles
>|> that I have (123 of them) and it must be farther back than that).
>|>
>|> Carl Schelin
>|> tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu
>

>Check out SIMTEL20:
>
>Directory PD1:<MSDOS.C>
> Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
>INT24-C2.ZIP  B    3303  900416  C routine intercepts Abort/Retry/Ignore prompt

  AlsoC Magazine published a TSR program called SAFARI quite a while ago.
The assembler code could be adapted or used as a model. Check the PC mag
subdirectory at simtel or email }ime and I'll try to find the volume/number
for it.