[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Borland C++

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (02/21/91)

I just got an upgrade offer to "Borland C++", available for Turbo C and
Turbo C++.  Anybody know anything about this?  They're talking a lot about
Windows support; does it work in simple, non-Windows environments?  (I hope
so!)  How does it compare to Turbo C++ ?

george@hobbes.ncsu.edu (George Browning) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb20.231025.7836@news.cs.indiana.edu> bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:
>I just got an upgrade offer to "Borland C++", available for Turbo C and
>Turbo C++.  Anybody know anything about this?  They're talking a lot about
>Windows support; does it work in simple, non-Windows environments?  (I hope
>so!)  How does it compare to Turbo C++ ?

From what I hear:
   - Borland C++ is the new professional package (thus the price)
   - Turbo C++ is going to be the entry level package
   - Borland C++ can create both DOS apps and Windows 3.0 apps/dlls
   - It includes the Whitewater Resource Toolkit for resource editing
   - Can compile using extended memory for larger modules
   - Features pre-compiled header files for fast recompilations
   - I think the Windows debugger runs in its own screen
     In other words: you flip between the Windows screen and this
     debugger text screen.  However, I'm not sure about this.
   - Requires something like 12 meg of disk space
   - RAM requirements depend on what you want to do:
     2 meg for Windows development
     1 meg for protected mode compiling (this doesn't mean 386
     mode applications -- just the compiler can make use of more
     memory I think)

Please correct any of these if they are wrong -- I've just been
reading the info on GEnie!!!  Borland is supposed to send me some
info any day now.

george

| o |  George Browning                 george@catt.ncsu.edu        | o |
| o |  NC State University             Raleigh, NC                 | o |

johnm@cory.Berkeley.EDU (John D. Mitchell) (02/26/91)

In article <14123@encore.Encore.COM> elliot@encore.com writes:
[...]
>Now, does anyone know why Borland would price BC++ at $495 when anyone
>can buy TC++ pro for $150 (I've actually seen prices as low as $55 on
>the net) and then the upgrade for $99: total price $250 or less?

Well, I asked some serious marketing types why this huge discrepency when
I got Spontaneous Assembly for $69.00 when it retails for $395!  The
answer is:  people have (at least from the marketeers point of view)
multiple perceptions of a product.  One of which is "how much am I
willing to pay for it".  Another is "what do I perceive as its worth
in relation to its market and competitiors".  In other words, since
MS sells at around the $500 mark and is perceived as a 'professional'
package and windows products (aka the market from above) are on the
expensive side, Borland must market their product as being perceived to
be at the same level even though they know that people (for the most
part) won't pay that kind of money.  I hope that makes some sense. :-)

John "Yep.  It really is that stupid" Mitchell

cs161fhn@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) (02/26/91)

In article <11418@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU|> johnm@cory.Berkeley.EDU (John D. Mitchell) writes:
|>In article <14123@encore.Encore.COM> elliot@encore.com writes:
|>[...]
|>>Now, does anyone know why Borland would price BC++ at $495 when anyone
|>>can buy TC++ pro for $150 (I've actually seen prices as low as $55 on
|>>the net) and then the upgrade for $99: total price $250 or less?
|>
|>Well, I asked some serious marketing types why this huge discrepency when
|>I got Spontaneous Assembly for $69.00 when it retails for $395!  The
|>answer is:  people have (at least from the marketeers point of view)
|>multiple perceptions of a product.  One of which is "how much am I
|>willing to pay for it".  Another is "what do I perceive as its worth
|>in relation to its market and competitiors".  In other words, since
|>MS sells at around the $500 mark and is perceived as a 'professional'
|>package and windows products (aka the market from above) are on the
|>expensive side, Borland must market their product as being perceived to
|>be at the same level even though they know that people (for the most
|>part) won't pay that kind of money.  I hope that makes some sense. :-)
|>
|>John "Yep.  It really is that stupid" Mitchell

Hmmm, I guess those that can pay the high price (corporations,
research centers, people who hire consultants to do windows
programming, etc) pay it while those that can't (hackers, students,
PD/shareware/freeware programmers) don't.

I guess it also says that the informed (Usenet people, hackers,
Computer shopper readers) will pay the lower price while the
uninformed (MacWorld readers, people who shop at Computerland,
Prodigy users :-) will pay the higher price.

Me?  I'm just thankful I'm one of the informed.

--
Dennis Lou           || "But Yossarian, what if everyone thought that way?"
dlou@ucsd.edu        || "Then I'd be crazy to think any other way!"

cla@isis.cs.du.edu (Chuck Anderson) (03/01/91)

I bought Turbo C++ Pro last summer. Then, about 4 weeks ago I ordered the
maintenance upgrade (1.01) for $15.00

When I got my Borland C++ offer I called Borland and asked them what they
could do for me. The operator (?) reminded me of Borland's 60 day return
policy. So I can at least gt my $15.00 back.

If you've bought Turbo C++ in the last 60 days, just return it.

---

It sounds like Borland C++ is worth buying. My problem with the
upgrade offer is that it has a time limit on it (4/12/91). This
almost "forces" me to take the upgrade offer since I'm saving SO
MUCH money. But, I'm just not quite ready for it yet.

I thought someone said that Borland C++ requires 2Meg. ? ?
(I only have 1Meg. :-()

The System Requirements specified with the upgrade offer include the phrase...
"Hard Disk requires 1MB of extended memory."

What do it mean?

     Chuck Anderson                uucp    :         uunet!isis!cla
     Boulder, Co. (303) 494-6278   internet:         cla@isis.cs.du.edu

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (03/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1991 18:21:05 GMT

In article <1991Mar1.015229.21616@isis.cs.du.edu> cla@isis.UUCP (Chuck Anderson) writes:
>If you've bought Turbo C++ in the last 60 days, just return it.

Let me get this straight - you're saying it's better to return the product
and buy a new one for $200 more than spend $99 on an upgrade? AND keep the
old one?
Hm. Let me pull out my calculator...

Tony

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (03/10/91)

> In article <1991Mar1.015229.21616@isis.cs.du.edu> cla@isis.UUCP (Chuck Anderson) writes:
>>If you've bought Turbo C++ in the last 60 days, just return it.

Those of us whose copies of TC++ Professional which are new
enough to not have gathered dust will be pleased to hear that
BC++ can be had for a nominal fee (under $50 including all
bonus charges). I called up Borland Friday and was told that the
package would have to have been purchased after some date in
December (didn't pay too much attention to that since my copy is
post January) and one needs to send in a copy of the sales
receipt to get the cheap purchase price.

Hmm, will they be disturbed by the fact that I paid $150 for my
TC++ Pro? ;-)

-dh

jtanlim@ee.ubc.ca (TANLIMCO JOHN JAY GO) (04/20/91)

I received my BC++ compiler a week ago, but haven't had the chance to
use it yet.  I noticed that some of you received more materials than I
seem to have, so if you have BC++, can you please tell me all the things
you received(ie. number of books and number of disks)?

  Please reply by e-mail before May 1, 1991.

John Jay Tanlimco               | Pause for a moment...and take a deep breath.
University of British Columbia  | We all need to change the air in our heads
Dept. of Electrical Engineering | once in a while.

Email: jtanlim@fs1.ee.ubc.ca    |