[comp.os.msdos.programmer] BC++ 2.0 and Help Compiler

Brian.Chan@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Brian Chan) (04/12/91)

Just recieved my BC++ upgrade. It was shipped on March 26th and and it
comes the _Help_ _Compiler_ and the Window Book certificate. In case
you want know.

Back to more coding,

Brian
Stuttgart, FRG.

	Extended Bulletin Board Service, Research & Development
Office of Information Technology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
	      internet: bbs.acs.unc.edu or 128.109.157.30

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (04/16/91)

In article <3305@beguine.UUCP> Brian.Chan@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Brian Chan) writes:
>Just recieved my BC++ upgrade. It was shipped on March 26th and and it
>comes the _Help_ _Compiler_ and the Window Book certificate. In case
>you want know.

Mine came with a new TDW and WRT for international keyboard support.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

wallis@sieras.enet.dec.com (Barry L. Wallis) (04/17/91)

Well, I just recieved the Help Compiler for Windows from Borland also. It sure
seems unusable for me. Why? Because it seems to want to deal with files in Rich
Text Format (RTF) for all the formatting commands. The documentation says that
you can use one of three different word processors for it:

1) Word for DOS
2) Word for Windows
3) Word for MAC

(I didn't say they were very different ;-}). Now, I am using the system to
learn Windows programming and *not* to produce income. I have no desire to
purchase Word in order to do this. What other choices do I have?

BTW, maybe they call it Rich Text Format because it will make Microsoft rich?
:-(

---
Barry L. Wallis			USENET: wallis@labc.dec.com
Database Consultant		Prodigy (don't laugh): DNMX41A
U.S. DECtp Resource Center	DECUServe: EISNER::WALLIS (not on the net yet)
Los Angeles, CA			"No one voted for me, I represent myself"
---

oneel@heawk1.rosserv.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (04/17/91)

   Well, I just recieved the Help Compiler for Windows from Borland also. It sure
   seems unusable for me. Why? Because it seems to want to deal with files in Rich
   Text Format (RTF) for all the formatting commands. The documentation says that
   you can use one of three different word processors for it:

   1) Word for DOS
   2) Word for Windows
   3) Word for MAC

   ---
   Barry L. Wallis			USENET: wallis@labc.dec.com
   Database Consultant		Prodigy (don't laugh): DNMX41A
   U.S. DECtp Resource Center	DECUServe: EISNER::WALLIS (not on the net yet)
   Los Angeles, CA			"No one voted for me, I represent myself"
   ---

As I understand it, RTF is human readable so you could (if you knew
what it looked like) do it yourself by hand.  But... There is a better
way.  Microsoft gives away working models of different products, word
for windows being one.  Call 800-541-1261 and talk to them.  I'm
getting this info from DDJ May 1991, p 23.  When I called they asked
me for the dept number (P94) which was for microsoft project for
windows but the nice person had no problem sending me WfW instead.  As
I understand it, the working models can't (print/save large files/??,
pick one).

bruce
--
| Bruce O'Neel              | internet : oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov|
| Code 664/STX              |     span : lheavx::oneel             |

Thats me in the corner, thats me in the spotlight, losin' my religion -- rem

wallis@sieras.enet.dec.com (Barry L. Wallis) (04/18/91)

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request. The answers were very helpful.

First an apology, then, a summary:

Apology: Sorry for wasting bandwidth for something that is evidently in the
         FAQ. I will check it out next time it is posted.

1) AMI' Pro? One person said they thought it could support RTF. However, a user
looked in the doc and could not find anything about it. It can export into Word
format but no mention is made of RTF.

2) TryWord. Available from MS for $10 (also include in the book "Learn Word for
Windows Now" for $30). This is a scaled down version of Word
(it can only support text files of ~7K bytes).

3) There are two helpful publications:

a) "Microsoft Rich Text Format Specification" available
   by calling Microsoft Support (206-454-2030) and asking
   for a copy. They'll send it to you via mail.

b) "Rich Text Format Standard Makes Transferring Text Easier",
   an article which appeared in the March 1987 Microsoft
   Systems Journal. This is an introduction to RTF which
   covers all of the basic info.

---

altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (04/18/91)

In article <22086@shlump.nac.dec.com> wallis@sieras.enet.dec.com (Barry L. Wallis) writes:

>Well, I just recieved the Help Compiler for Windows from Borland also. It sure
>seems unusable for me. Why? Because it seems to want to deal with files in Rich
>Text Format (RTF) for all the formatting commands. The documentation says that
>you can use one of three different word processors for it:
>
>1) Word for DOS
>2) Word for Windows
>3) Word for MAC

[comments deleted]

You can also use other Word Processors if they have converters to RTF.
I believe that WP ight have one in its convert utility and if not there
are some WP2RTF converters floating around CompuServe that I could possibly
getif necessary.

You could also create RTF files by hand (but its not recommended.)

--
- Jeff  | Altmania Productions |================================|
 ~   ~	| 15 Yarmouth Lane     | jaltman    @ ccmail.sunysb.edu |

gettys@yacht.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys) (04/18/91)

In article <22136@shlump.nac.dec.com>, wallis@sieras.enet.dec.com (Barry L. Wallis) writes:

|>1) AMI' Pro? One person said they thought it could support RTF. However, a user
|>looked in the doc and could not find anything about it. It can export into Word
|>format but no mention is made of RTF.

	I just looked in AMI Pro and RTF (Rich Text Format) IS available as both an import and an export filter.

	/s/	Bob Gettys

gt4627b@prism.gatech.EDU (gt4627b Matthew 'Ice-Ice' Kramer) (04/21/91)

>>1) AMI' Pro? One person said they thought it could support RTF. However, a user
>>looked in the doc and could not find anything about it. It can export into Word
>>format but no mention is made of RTF.

--------
Ami Pro does indeed support export to Rich Text format (RTF) for use with the
windows help compiler. I know this for certain because I happened to be
the programmer with Lotus who implemented it.
****
Please contact me at gt5645a@prism.gatech.edu for questions........
****