[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Karma & "Free" software

dj@ctron.com (DJ Delorie) (04/20/91)

> Austin Code Works does seem pretty rude.  Perhaps a concerned/vindictive
> individual/organisation with some free time could maintain a listing of how
> to obtain each of their products for free via FTP or mailserver.  A listing
> in exact correspondence with their latest ads in magazines, prominently
> posted, would surely reduce their profits a bit.

Posting FTP sites to help netters find and use free & good quality
software is a Good Thing.

Posting FTP sites to try to put a company out of business is a Bad
Thing.

In my opinion, Your verbiage tarnishes the respectable image and good
intentions of organizations like FSF, universities, ShareWare, and PD
programmers which exist to enrich our lives, and not to bring grief
to others.

I spent a year working on porting GCC to a 386 running DOS.  It was a
lot of work, and "cost" me a lot of time and energy that I could have
spent doing other things.  I did it purely for fun, and so that I
would have a 32-bit compiler to use for development.  I made this
package available FREE OF CHARGE to any who wished to have it, as long
as I didn't have to spend my own money to do so.  ACW asked permission
to distribute my package in conjunction with FSF sources (in
accordance with the GPL), printed documentation (bought from FSF), and
BSD library sources (in accordance with their copyrights).  I get a
portion of the money received for my effort and for the support I
provide to the customers (which netters get FREE OF CHARGE).  The
remainder, in my opinion, is not much more than what I would expect a
company would spend for advertising, shipping, overhead, and the
numerous other expenses incurred in any business.

If you are the holder of a copyright on a work of software, and you
feel that the copyright has been violated by anyone, then TAKE THE
OTHER PARTY TO COURT.  This is the only appropriate course of action;
griping doesn't help.  Most copyright statements I've seen in software
distributed via the net have loopholes big enough for any company to
drive an armored car through, and will be hard to enforce against a
good lawyer.  The copyright system is designed to protect authors, and
the court system is very good at applying that protection.  A good
copyright, however, is up to the programmer.

Politeness is not guaranteed by the constitution.  If you don't like
the way a company does business, don't do business with them.  If
enough people do this, that company will go out of business from its
own faults.  The energy you expend trying to convince others to
boycott a business could be used to provide a better service or
product, or support their competitor.  That's the American Way.

PS:  Here's my contribution to the "free-of-charge" software list:

  grape.ecs.clarkson.edu  ~ftp/pub/msdos/djgcc/*  386/DOS GCC/G++ compiler

May it enhance the lives of my fellow programmers, and bring them joy
and ease of programming until it becomes obsolete.  I will be glad to
make other arrangements, as long as I don't have to spend my own
money.

DJ Delorie
dj@ctron.com
-----
Standard Disclaimer: I speak only for myself, and my karma is not
troubled by my words.

rhys@cs.uq.oz.au (Rhys Weatherley) (04/21/91)

In <1436@balrog.ctron.com> dj@ctron.com (DJ Delorie) writes:

>                       Most copyright statements I've seen in software
>distributed via the net have loopholes big enough for any company to
>drive an armored car through, and will be hard to enforce against a
>good lawyer.  The copyright system is designed to protect authors, and
>the court system is very good at applying that protection.  A good
>copyright, however, is up to the programmer.

I agree entirely.  From my own experience I've found it VERY hard to find
the best "set of words" to put on my software (and I'm still looking).  I'm
not a computer lawyer, and I don't know any computer lawyers (or have the
money to pay one to write a copyright message).  So I've usually been reduced
to modifying the copyright message on someone else's program to fit my
circumstances.  99% of the time I use the GNU General Public License, because
my user population generally knows what they are getting with GNU-protected
software.  Also, the GNU License comes with full instructions of what words
need to be placed where and exactly what you have to distribute.  But I don't
really want to use this license (no reflection on the GNU people - they are
doing a good job which I support).  I'd rather use a license that says:

	(a) You can distribute the binaries far and wide for no charge
	    whatsoever.
	(b) My name and copyright messages must always be attached.
	(c) I don't really want any money (my job pays enough), but I'll
	    take any given to me.
	(d) You CANNOT have the sources no matter how much you beg and grovel.
	(e) If you make money out of distributing my program, then I have
	    some friends in the Mafia who would like to have a nice little
	    chat with you :-) .

What I'd like to see is an FTP site somewhere (or a mail server would be
better) that is the central collection point for ALL types of copyright
messages, covering every possible combination of conditions on distributing
source and binary forms, getting royalties, etc.  Then programmer X can
say "I want a message that does this: ..." and the site will give it to
him/her together with his/her name attached in the required spots.  Also,
full instructions can be included with it as well.  (a mail server is better
for this because it's more tolerant of "questions").

Programmers generally don't know the "legalese", but do want to protect
themselves.  And as DJ points out, most messages won't stand up to a good
lawyer.

Rhys.

P.S. If you want to join the "Society for ENGLISH Copyrights", check this box:

		    -----
                    |   |
                    -----

     :-)

||  Rhys Weatherley   |  The University of Queensland,  ||
||  rhys@cs.uq.oz.au  |  Australia.  G'day!!            ||