[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Austin Code Works

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (04/17/91)

Has anyone had experience with ACW?  They seem like they are overpriced,
and a lot of their stuff you can't tell if it is SW, PD, or commercial
stuff....

Has anyone bought G++386 from them?

Brian

garym@cognos.uucp@uunet.uu.net (Gary Murphy) (04/17/91)

BOYCOTT AUSTIN CODE WORKS!  This organization is distributing other
people's works WITHOUT PERMISSION and often even blatently so!  As a
programmer who has produced shareware, this alone is enough reason to
avoid this organization, but there is more: Their prices are very
high and the software out of date.

If you can read this message, everything you can get from ACW can be
had FOR FREE via ftp.  Even if you have no direct ftp, you can get
files from most sites through the princeton pucc list-server.

Just before the flames start, let me give you an example: The following
letter from Alan Paeth describes the tribulations of an author trying
to keep his software free.  The letter ends with a list of sites
carrying Alan's SAO starchart data, which I have included both for
completeness, and to give an idea of the number of FREE sites out there.

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1991 00:26:11 GMT

In article <1991Apr21.184918.29190@eecs.nwu.edu> kaufman@eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) writes:
>Of the FTP-able items, they are providing a service by mailing them out.  If
>you don't like their prices, then don't use their company. I don't understand
>the anger here.
>
>Michael

Actually, if they are not violating any specific copyright laws, just
providing something otherwise widely available at a price, I don't
understand the problem either. Apparantly, if they haven't gone out of
business, their service is needed. I have to say that FTP-ing is often
frustrating (you don't know what is available where) and EXTREMALLY
time consuming (in a year, I have been able to connect anonymously
during the day ONCE - it's always busy - who's got the time?). If they
can deliver something I need without aggrevation and at a reasonable
price, I'll go for it.

Tony

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (04/22/91)

In article <GARYM.91Apr17120736@cognos.uucp@uunet.uu.net>, garym@cognos.uucp@uunet.uu.net (Gary Murphy) writes:
> If you can read this message, everything you can get from ACW can be
> had FOR FREE via ftp.  Even if you have no direct ftp, you can get
> files from most sites through the princeton pucc list-server.

True up to a pint. But, for example, how would I get hold of a copy of the
larger GNU distributions this way? GNU EMACS would come out at about a hundred
parts if mailed from the Princeton server. I don't have 9 inch magtape, or a
Sun cartridge drive, so I can't go to GNU (FSF) direct.

I don't condone ACW either. But they may be the only way for some people.
Bob Eager                | University of Kent at Canterbury

kaufman@eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) (04/23/91)

In article <22239.2812f1b5@cluster@ukc.ac.uk> cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) writes:
>I don't condone ACW either. But they may be the only way for some people.

I just don't understand some people.  You say that they are providing a service
to people who need it. Then you say that you don't "condone" them.  Maybe you
didn't get to finish your letter, because the part where you told what they
are doing wrong mever made it to my site.

Michael