[comp.os.msdos.programmer] shareware

millerje@handel.cs.colostate.edu (Jeff Miller) (04/21/91)

Since the topic seems to be shareware, I figured this is a good time to ask
this question.  I have written a program (which I won't mention the name of
yet...) that works and looks EXACTLY like an available program.  The
difference?  The program that is available right now is shareware, and does
not include source.  The program that I wrote I want to distribute for free
and include the source.  Does anyone think I will have a problem, seeing
how my program looks and acts like the other one, and yet I won't charge
plus I am including source?

Please let me know what you think...

|  "NUKE THE UNBORN GAY WHALES!"       |  Jeff Miller                         |
|             - graffiti               |  millerje@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu    |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) (04/21/91)

millerje@handel.cs.colostate.edu (Jeff Miller) writes:

>Since the topic seems to be shareware, I figured this is a good time to ask
>this question.  I have written a program (which I won't mention the name of
>yet...) that works and looks EXACTLY like an available program.  The
>difference?  The program that is available right now is shareware, and does
>not include source.  The program that I wrote I want to distribute for free
>and include the source.  Does anyone think I will have a problem, seeing
>how my program looks and acts like the other one, and yet I won't charge
>plus I am including source?

>Please let me know what you think...

Personally I would want to see it distributed.  But remember that it is
look alikes that cause certain companies (that I don't buy anything from)
to sue others about.
--
 /***************************************************************************\
/ Phil Howard -- KA9WGN -- phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu   |  Guns don't aim guns at  \

paulg@bhpmrl.oz.au (Paul Gallagher) (04/23/91)

God! I hope we're not going to get into a shareware "look and feel" debate.
Let L*t*s, A*p*e, and the rest play their own games.

PaulG (paulg@resmel.bhp.com.au)

shaunc@gold.gvg.tek.com (Shaun Case) (04/24/91)

Jeff Miller writes:
>I have written a program (which I won't mention the name of
>yet...) that works and looks EXACTLY like an available program.  The
>difference?  The program that is available right now is shareware, and does
>not include source.  The program that I wrote I want to distribute for free
>and include the source.  Does anyone think I will have a problem, seeing
>how my program looks and acts like the other one, and yet I won't charge
>plus I am including source?

I say distribute it.  I am working on a similar project in my spare time.
(What little there is) only mine is an improvement.  (In my opinion, anyway.)
Free software is always a Good Thing, and when it comes with source, it's
even better.  If you are paranoid enough, just put it in the public domain,
and don't put your name on it.

Shaun.