[net.travel] General travel tip

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) (12/31/84)

[]

This is in response to numerous requests for information I've  seen  posted
to  this news group.  I hope the more experienced travellers will bear with
me stating what may seem obvious to them.  Here is  a  general  travel  tip
I've found very useful:

When planning to visit any foreign country, call or write to the embassy or
consulate  of that country before you go.  Tell them where your planning to
go and ask them to send  you  any  appropriate  tourist  information  about
sights  to  see, places to stay, etc..  They'll be happy to send you pounds
of travel brochures and lists of hotels,  bed  and  breakfasts,  campsites,
etc., all for FREE.  It's a great aid in planning itineraries, lodging, and
generally not missing the things you'll want to see.

--
The Polymath
(Jerry Hollombe)                  Opinions expressed here are my own

ken@rochester.UUCP (Ken Yap) (01/01/85)

I second that opinion except that I would try that country's tourist
bureau first before their embassy or consulate. They are the more
appropriate people to contact.
--
	Ken Yap

UUCP: (..!{allegra, decvax, seismo}!rochester!ken) ARPA: ken@rochester.arpa
USnail:	Dept. of Comp. Sci., U. of Rochester, NY 14627. Voice: Ken!

allyn@sdcsvax.UUCP (Allyn Fratkin) (01/02/85)

In article <176@ttidcc.UUCP>, hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) writes:

> When planning to visit any foreign country, call or write to the embassy or
> consulate  of that country before you go.  Tell them where your planning to
> go and ask them to send  you  any  appropriate  tourist  information  about
> sights  to  see, places to stay, etc..  They'll be happy to send you pounds
> of travel brochures and lists of hotels,  bed  and  breakfasts,  campsites,
> etc., all for FREE.  It's a great aid in planning itineraries, lodging, and
> generally not missing the things you'll want to see.

This also works when travelling in the United States.  Most, if not all,
states have travel bureaus and such that are also happy to send brochures
and hotel lists, etc. for FREE.  Be sure to write far enough in advance for
the brochures to reach you.  Many places send them third class mail, so leave
a few weeks for delivery.

--
 From the virtual mind of Allyn Fratkin           sdcsvax!allyn@Nosc
                          UCSD Pascal Project     {ucbvax, decvax, ihnp4}

"Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance."

2141smh@aluxe.UUCP (henning) (01/05/85)

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA aluxe!2141smh

> Though it may be worth getting the material provided by the country
> tourist bureaus, one should remember that this is sales brochure
> type material.  I would never decide where to go based on this material.
> Also, the lists of accommodations are always very incomplete, and the
> maps are laughably useless for serious motoring.

When contacting tourist bureaus ask for complete listings of lodgings with
prices and detailed maps.  Usually the complete listings are free and some-
times the maps cost a small amount but are worth it.  Also if you are into
camping, ask for a complete listing of campgrounds with fees.  These are
available for most countries in Western Europe and Canada, Hawaii, Australia,
New Zealand, Japan, Taiwan, and numerous other countries.  Also if you
are an AAA member, check on the Passport agreement which provides you
with services in many foreign countries comparable to those in the US.

If you just ask for general information they will send you the junky tourist
literature that they hope will convince you to buy a tour.  If you are travel-
ing on your own you have to tell them that and give dates and ask for specific
information.  My experience has been that going through an American travel
agent for foreign accommodations and tours just about doubles the cost of
doing it yourself when you get there or going through their US representative
before you leave.  An example is the Japan Travel Bureau in San Francisco.
They are great.

Regarding books and bookstores,
1) They are designed to make money for the author and publisher.
2) They are designed to appeal to a specific audience (budget, luxury, etc)
3) They contain material that is at least 1 year old and not guaranteed.
4) They can only comment on those places which they have time to visit.
5) They miss many if not all small but nice places.

In some places like Northern Europe, I have never found a place that was not
clean.  The only choice is price and convenience.

P.S.  That junky literature about tour routes is great in planning your own
route and gives you an idea as to what one should look for.