[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Good MS-DOS/PC-DOS BIOS Cookbook wanted

mike@x.co.uk (Mike Moore) (04/19/91)

Hi folks!  I'm a computer addict who learned how to program a Z80 years ago and
has some experience of programming the 386 on a UNIX machine, however, I just
recently found out I could afford a PC so I bought a second-hand 286 and now
want to get to grips with it.  As can be predicted, there is no documentation
with my 'new' machine, so I'm looking for good manuals describing PC-DOS BIOS,
general cookbooks for DOS systems, how to use graphics cards direct from
assembly (i.e. how to do my own things without using BIOS calls) disk
interface stuff is also useful, as wells as serial and parallel interface.

Tactics for using extended memory and any other kind of memory are especially
of interest to me.

Thank you,

Mike
mike@x.co.uk
--
---            | usual and obvious disclaimers etc...      | Never take a
Mike Moore     | (anyone daft enough to sue me deserves    | Scorpio seriously.

cs352a41@cs.iastate.edu (Adam Goldberg) (04/21/91)

mike@x.co.uk (Mike Moore) writes:

>                    I'm looking for good manuals describing PC-DOS BIOS,
>general cookbooks for DOS systems, how to use graphics cards direct from
>assembly (i.e. how to do my own things without using BIOS calls) disk
>interface stuff is also useful, as wells as serial and parallel interface.

>Tactics for using extended memory and any other kind of memory are especially
>of interest to me.

I use (and enjoy):

  o The New Peter Norton Programmer's Guide to The IBM PC & PS/2
    by Peter Norton and Richard Wilton
    ISBN 1-55615-131-4

  o IBM Microcomputers, a Programmer's Handbook
    by Julia Sanchez and Maria Canton
    ISBN 0-07-054594-4

Norton's book describes DOS & BIOS calls, and Sanchez's book describes things
from a more hardware level.

! Adam Goldberg           !       *         ! "It's simple! Even a PASCAL     !
! cs352a41@cs.iastate.edu !       *         !  programmer could do it!"       !

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (04/22/91)

Oh man, there are a TON of books you can get.  Just go down to a local
B. Dalton's and check it out.  Some general titles I can remember that
are pretty popular are:

"Advance Ms-Dos Programming" by Ray Duncan
"Extending DOS" by Ray Duncan
"Programmer's PC Source Book" ???
"Peter Norton's Programmer's Guide to the IBM PC and PS/2" by Peter Norton
"DOS Undocumented" ????
"Programmer's Guide to the 80386" ????

Theses are the titles that I can remember.  Sorry I dont' have more info.

Brian

miller@b-mrda.ca.boeing.com (Mark Miller) (04/22/91)

I use the MS-DOS Encyclopedia (Microsoft Press). This one is a bit pricey,
but has most of what I need somewhere in there.

Less pricey, but still very valuable to me is Ray Duncan's "Advanced MS-DOS"
(also Microsoft Press).

Hope this helps.

Mark R. Miller                     |
Boeing Commercial Airplane Company |
Seattle, WA                        |
Internet: miller@b-mrda.boeing.com |
Voicenet: (206) 237-0960           |
Opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

jdart@telesoft.com (Jon Dart @lone) (04/25/91)

In article <Apr91.135939.3654@x.co.uk>, mike@x.co.uk (Mike Moore) writes:
> with my 'new' machine, so I'm looking for good manuals describing PC-DOS BIOS,
> general cookbooks for DOS systems, how to use graphics cards direct from
> assembly (i.e. how to do my own things without using BIOS calls) ...

The two best BIOS books are:

Advanced MSDOS Programming by Ray Duncan (2nd ed).  Microsoft Press, 1988.

The New Peter Norton Progammer's Guide to the IBM PC and PS/2 by
Peter Norton and Richard Wilton (2nd ed.)  Microsoft Press, 1988.

Alas, both books contain errors.  The definitive source is:

IBM Personal System/2 and Personal Computer BIOS Interface Technical
Reference.

Also useful is:

IBM Technical Reference - Personal Computer AT

This last book is now somewhat dated, but contains source for the IBM
AT BIOS, which is sometimes the only way to find out how things really
work.  The techical reference books are available only from IBM and
are rather expensive.

For graphics programming, the best book is Richard Wilton's
Programmer's Guide to PC and PS/2 Video Systems.  However, it won't
tell you everything you need to know - in particular, it doesn't
discuss clone video cards much.

Hope this helps.

--
Jon Dart              | 5959 Cornerstone Ct. W., | jdart@telesoft.com
Sr. Software Engineer | San Diego, CA 92121      | ..uscd.edu!