[comp.os.msdos.programmer] MS C 6.00a bug list

ebergman@isis.cs.du.edu (Eric Bergman-Terrell) (04/20/91)

Maybe they charge so much because the bug list is on CD ROM?

Terrell

keithro@microsoft.UUCP (Keith ROWE) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr17.155411.204@webo.dg.com> Bruce Kahn writes:
>  MicroSoft has such a beast and if you call their tech support line they
>will be glad to sell it to you (but not give it to you).  Its very anoying
> [...]
>products that I dont feel its nice for em to charge the ~$40-50 for the list
>(that was the cost last time we checked here)...

This is not true.   The bug list for MS C 6.0 is available from two sources:

1)  OnLine - the Microsoft electronic support line.

2)  CompuServe - in the Microsoft Languages forum.

Both of these sources keep a full collection of all bug reports filed by
the Microsoft support staff.    Look in the KnowledgeBase on either service
for more details.

While neither of these services is free, there is no additional charge to
access the bug reports.

I hope this helps,

Keith Rowe
Program Manager, C Languages - Microsoft
uunet!microsoft!keithro

jgay@digi.lonestar.org (john gay) (04/24/91)

From article <71992@microsoft.UUCP>, by keithro@microsoft.UUCP (Keith ROWE):
> This is not true.   The bug list for MS C 6.0 is available from two sources:
>
> 1)  OnLine - the Microsoft electronic support line.
>
> 2)  CompuServe - in the Microsoft Languages forum.
>
> Both of these sources keep a full collection of all bug reports filed by
> the Microsoft support staff.    Look in the KnowledgeBase on either service
> for more details.
>
> While neither of these services is free, there is no additional charge to
> access the bug reports.
>
> I hope this helps,
>
> Keith Rowe
> Program Manager, C Languages - Microsoft
> uunet!microsoft!keithro

Why doesn't Microsoft (or you) post the bug list here?  I am sure that
there would be much interest (or at least at one time would have been).

Former Microsoft C user (I bailed out after 5.1)...

john gay.

this is for the stupid news poster...

nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (n liu) (04/24/91)

keithro@microsoft.UUCP (Keith ROWE) writes:

>In article <1991Apr17.155411.204@webo.dg.com> Bruce Kahn writes:
>>  MicroSoft has such a beast and if you call their tech support line they
>>will be glad to sell it to you (but not give it to you).  Its very anoying
>> [...]
>>products that I dont feel its nice for em to charge the ~$40-50 for the list
>>(that was the cost last time we checked here)...

>This is not true.   The bug list for MS C 6.0 is available from two sources:

>1)  OnLine - the Microsoft electronic support line.

>2)  CompuServe - in the Microsoft Languages forum.

>Both of these sources keep a full collection of all bug reports filed by
>the Microsoft support staff.    Look in the KnowledgeBase on either service
>for more details.

>While neither of these services is free, there is no additional charge to
>access the bug reports.

>I hope this helps,

Ok, fine. Now, let me guess. They're copyrighted such that i can give up any
hope of seeing them posted here? Grand. If not, somebody surprise me.

Yes, I am a "cheap" starving student uninterested in either compuserve or
support line bbs's (only got 2400 baud) in Middleofnowhere USA.

Oh, but Prodigy, now THATS a fine service isn't it?
grr.

demillo@porter.geo.brown.edu (Rob DeMillo) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr18.133035.15827@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> nengle@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (nathan engle) writes:

>  I have to agree that MSC5.1 is/was about twice as stable as C6.00;
>6.00a seems to be more on an equal footing with 5.1 as far as
>reliability goes. 6.00a IS slower than 5.1 and the output code isn't
>that much better, but I'm sticking with 6.00a because of the inline
>assembler. Also, if I'm ever rash enough to take on any OS/2 projects
>6.00a supports OS/2 better than 5.1 did.

I have to agree with the opinions experessed here.
My partner and I have stuck to MSC 5.1 for that very reason.

Speaking of which, when is the next release of MSC coming out?

 - Rob DeMillo			     | Internet: demillo@juliet.ll.mit.edu
   Mass Inst of Tech/Lincoln Lab     | Also:     demillo@porter.geo.brown.edu
   Weather Sensing Project-Group 43  | Reality:  401-273-0804 (home)
"I say you *are* the Messiah, Lord! And I ought to know, I've followed a few!"

philbo@dhw68k.cts.com (Phil Lindsay) (04/30/91)

In article <71992@microsoft.UUCP> keithro@microsoft.UUCP (Keith ROWE) writes:
>In article <1991Apr17.155411.204@webo.dg.com> Bruce Kahn writes:
>>  MicroSoft has such a beast and if you call their tech support line they
>>will be glad to sell it to you (but not give it to you).  Its very anoying
>> [...]
>>products that I dont feel its nice for em to charge the ~$40-50 for the list
>Not true...
We still PAY for it!
Instead of *ALWAYS* trying to make money from us developers...Why don't
you publish the bug list in this news group. All I do know is that 15000lines
of source (which compiles clean with -W4) breaks on MSC6.00A, but works
fine with MSC5.1.  YES I have turned off optimizations. And NO, I don't
want to waste MY time debugging YOUR code.  WATCOM and Borland have
no problems.  If you publish the bug list I might even continue
to use your product.
--
Phil Lindsay - "Patents threaten future technology"
Internet: philbo@dhw68k.cts.com  Phone: Wrk7143852311 Hm7142891201