[comp.os.msdos.programmer] MS-DOS Tabs

Martin.Scharnke@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Martin Scharnke) (05/01/91)

I have a really icky problem...wanting to use the DOS PRINT spooler using the multiplex interrupt I have found that tabs are universally expanded to 8 spaces.

		I HATE THIS!!!

My favourite tab size is 2, and writing a string to my printer to set tab size to 2 is no great hassle (Esc + "e" + 0 + 2 is the string from memory).

But calling the PRINT spooler (which I do so that I can print in the background) causes space to be sustituted for tabs - Grrrrr!

Does anyone know of a hack/patch that can change this. Or is my only solution to write my own spooling TSR (Something I don't want to have to do! :-} )

Any help appreciated...

 _                                 ||  martin@comp.vuw.ac.nz
' )--,--,         _/_              ||  Victoria University
 /  /  / __   __  / . _            ||  Wellington, New Zealand
/  /  (_(_/|_/ (_(_(_/ )           ||

--
 _                                 ||  martin@comp.vuw.ac.nz
' )--,--,         _/_              ||  Victoria University

cs352a41@cs.iastate.edu (Adam Goldberg) (05/01/91)

Martin.Scharnke@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Martin Scharnke) writes:

>I have a really icky problem...wanting to use the DOS PRINT spooler using the
>multiplex interrupt I have found that tabs are universally expanded to 8
>spaces.

>		I HATE THIS!!!

>My favourite tab size is 2, and writing a string to my printer to set tab
>size to 2 is no great hassle (Esc + "e" + 0 + 2 is the string from memory).

>But calling the PRINT spooler (which I do so that I can print in the
>background) causes space to be sustituted for tabs - Grrrrr!

>Does anyone know of a hack/patch that can change this. Or is my only solution
>to write my own spooling TSR (Something I don't want to have to do! :-} )

How about writing a TSR that gets installed on top of the spooler that does
nothing but expand tabs, and passes everything else through? Should be easy
enough...at the very least, its easier than writing your own spooler.

! Adam Goldberg           !       *         ! "It's simple! Even a PASCAL     !
! cs352a41@cs.iastate.edu !       *         !  programmer could do it!"       !