[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Legality of distributing Borland's BGI files

sung@ceco.ceco.com (Sung Han) (04/13/91)

This is probably a stupid FAQ, but I haven't seen it addressed, so here goes...

If I write a program that uses Borland's graphics BGI interface, and decide to
distribute it, can I also ship out the corresponding runtime BGI file (e.g.,
the 'egavga.bgi' file)?   I searched the manuals for restrictions on the use and
distribution of the runtime library, but couldn't find anything.
--
#
# Sung Han @ Commonwealth Edison Corp., Chicago, Illinois

cs352a41@cs.iastate.edu (Adam Goldberg) (04/13/91)

sung@ceco.ceco.com (Sung Han) writes:

>This is probably a stupid FAQ, but I haven't seen it addressed, so here goes..

>If I write a program that uses Borland's graphics BGI interface, and decide to
>distribute it, can I also ship out the corresponding runtime BGI file (e.g.,
>the 'egavga.bgi' file)?   I searched the manuals for restrictions on the use and
>distribution of the runtime library, but couldn't find anything.

Quoting the 'Borland's No-Nonsense License Statement!':

"Programs that you write and compile using the Turbo C language compiler may
be used, given away or sold without additional license or fees.  You are not
required to indicate that your programs were developed using Turbo C or that
they contain source code provided with Borland language products (toolboxes)."

I'm not sure whether this directly addresses the BGI files, but it sure seems
like if you link the BGI file into the executable file by using things like
registerbgidriver(), then it'll be legal (and nicer to the user).  If you're
still unsure, mail to sidney@borland.com (sorry Sidney if you don't want to
receive mail of this sort) and ask him.

! Adam Goldberg           !       *         ! "It's simple! Even a PASCAL     !
! cs352a41@cs.iastate.edu !       *         !  programmer could do it!"       !

cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) (04/14/91)

From article <500@ceco.ceco.com>, by sung@ceco.ceco.com (Sung Han):
> This is probably a stupid FAQ, but I haven't seen it addressed, so here goes...
>
> If I write a program that uses Borland's graphics BGI interface, and decide to
> distribute it, can I also ship out the corresponding runtime BGI file (e.g.,
> the 'egavga.bgi' file)?   I searched the manuals for restrictions on the use and
> distribution of the runtime library, but couldn't find anything.

Convert them to object files and link them in.

|Tom Hite					|  The views expressed by me |
|Manager, Product development			|  are mine, not necessarily |
|CADSI (Computer Aided Design Software Inc.	|  the views of CADSI.       |

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (04/14/91)

In article <500@ceco.ceco.com> sung@ceco.ceco.com (Sung Han) writes:
>This is probably a stupid FAQ, but I haven't seen it addressed, so here goes...

It's been adressed many times, all right.

>If I write a program that uses Borland's graphics BGI interface, and decide to
>distribute it, can I also ship out the corresponding runtime BGI file (e.g.,
>the 'egavga.bgi' file)?   I searched the manuals for restrictions on the use and
>distribution of the runtime library, but couldn't find anything.

Did you also take a look at the inside cover of your manuals?  There
is Borland's No-Nonsense License Statement in there which best
answers your query.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

dougs@videovax.tv.tek.com (Doug Stevens) (04/16/91)

In article <500@ceco.ceco.com>, sung@ceco.ceco.com (Sung Han) writes:

> If I write a program that uses Borland's graphics BGI interface, and decide to
> distribute it, can I also ship out the corresponding runtime BGI file (e.g.,
> the 'egavga.bgi' file)?

I formally asked Borland this question when TC 1.5 came out, and the answer
was a definite NO.

The suggestion at the time was to use BGI2OBJ to change them to object files,
add them to your graphics library, and link the library with your application.
It is legal to ship the application as long as you follow their other guidelines
regarding copyright statements for applications linked to Borland libraries.

jdb@swamp.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (04/16/91)

Folks, this is getting old.  Read the "No-nonsense license agreement" and
it specifically states that "assorted support files that are necessary for
the functionality of the files you may distribute may be distributed
freely"

Period.  Nuff said.

This was in the "Turbo C++ 2nd Edition" license agreement.

Brian

P{SUsing BGIOBJ is a better idea anyway.

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (04/17/91)

In article <6362@videovax.tv.tek.com> dougs@videovax.tv.tek.com (Doug Stevens) writes:
>In article <500@ceco.ceco.com>, sung@ceco.ceco.com (Sung Han) writes:
>>
>> If I write a program that uses Borland's graphics BGI interface, and decide to
>> distribute it, can I also ship out the corresponding runtime BGI file (e.g.,
>> the 'egavga.bgi' file)?
>
>I formally asked Borland this question when TC 1.5 came out, and the answer
>was a definite NO.
>
>The suggestion at the time was to use BGI2OBJ to change them to object files,
>add them to your graphics library, and link the library with your application.
>It is legal to ship the application as long as you follow their other guidelines
>regarding copyright statements for applications linked to Borland libraries.

You were given misinformation, or perhaps their policy has changed.  In the
license in the front of the TC 2.0 reference manual, it says:

"Included in the Turbo C diskettes are several support files that contain
encoded hardware and font information used by the standard graphics library
(GRAPHICS.LIB).  These files, which can be listed by typing DIR *.CHR and
DIR *.BGI, are proprietary to Borland International.  You may use these
files with the programs you create with Turbo C for your own personal use.
*** In addition, to the extent the programs you write and compile using the
Turbo C language compiler make use of these support files, you may distribute
these support files in combination with such programs, provided that you do
not use, give away, or sell the support files separately, and all copies
of such programs bear a copyright notice.  ***"

The emphasis *** is mine, not Borland's.  So are any typos.

Duncan Murdoch
dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu

dandrews@bilver.uucp (Dave Andrews) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr16.175728.6036@maytag.waterloo.edu> dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) writes:
>"Included in the Turbo C diskettes are several support files that contain
>encoded hardware and font information used by the standard graphics library
>(GRAPHICS.LIB).  These files, which can be listed by typing DIR *.CHR and
>DIR *.BGI, are proprietary to Borland International.  You may use these
>files with the programs you create with Turbo C for your own personal use.
>*** In addition, to the extent the programs you write and compile using the
>Turbo C language compiler make use of these support files, you may distribute
>these support files in combination with such programs, provided that you do
>not use, give away, or sell the support files separately, and all copies
>of such programs bear a copyright notice.  ***"

Now, I've noticed that the stroked fonts in Quattro Pro have upper and
lower case characters, and some other special characters that are NOT
distributed in the fonts with TC.  What I wonder is whether Borland
would object to my linking the QPRO fonts with my TC application and
distributing it.

Or does Borland want me to add my own lowercase characters with the
font editor (yekkah).

Just wondering.

- David Andrews        bilver!dandrews

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) (04/19/91)

dougs@videovax.tv.tek.com (Doug Stevens) writes:

>In article <500@ceco.ceco.com>, sung@ceco.ceco.com (Sung Han) writes:
>>
>> If I write a program that uses Borland's graphics BGI interface, and decide to
>> distribute it, can I also ship out the corresponding runtime BGI file (e.g.,
>> the 'egavga.bgi' file)?

>I formally asked Borland this question when TC 1.5 came out, and the answer
>was a definite NO.

Read the licence agreement of either Turbo Pascal 5, 5.5 or 6.0.
The answer is a definite YES as long as your program contains any
copyright notice.
Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Germany | include standard
Bitnet : hartnegg@dfrruf1 or hartnegg@cernvm            | disclaimer here!
Internet : hartnegg@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de             |

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr14.062213.15711@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
>In article <500@ceco.ceco.com> sung@ceco.ceco.com (Sung Han) writes:
>
>>If I write a program that uses Borland's graphics BGI interface, and decide to
>>distribute it, can I also ship out the corresponding runtime BGI file (e.g.,
>>the 'egavga.bgi' file)?   I searched the manuals for restrictions on the use and
>>distribution of the runtime library, but couldn't find anything.
>
>Did you also take a look at the inside cover of your manuals?  There
>is Borland's No-Nonsense License Statement in there which best
>answers your query.

Also, if you read the manual a little farther than the front cover :-)
you will see that there is a way to include the BGI drivers in your EXE
files ... namely by using the BGI object code file and linking with your
code.  This is much more convenient for your customers!

Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr30.230153.25261@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) writes:
:
>Also, if you read the manual a little farther than the front cover :-)
>you will see that there is a way to include the BGI drivers in your EXE
>files ... namely by using the BGI object code file and linking with your
>code.  This is much more convenient for your customers!
:

If the instructions are needed for doing this, they can be found in
the ubiquitous /pc/ts/tsfaq20.arc Fre quently Asked Questions
available from our site.  The inclusion is commendable, but it is
not very simple (in relative terms).