[comp.os.msdos.programmer] redirecting stderr: can it be done?

toma@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (05/09/91)

In article <3747@intvax.UUCP> drstrip@intvax.UUCP (David R. Strip) writes:
>Is there anyway to capture output on stderr from
>an application? The unix-ism of >& does not
>work on ms-dos.

If you run the shareware command.com replacement, 4DOS, you can redirect
stderr using >&.

>Barring an actual redirect
>operator, can someone point me to a pd program
>to capture all screen output from an app. For
>what its worth, the app is compiled in Turbo-C
>if that makes a difference.

If the Turbo-C app is writing to the display directly (using the conio.h
package) then you are out of luck, but as long as it is using stderr
4DOS will do the job.

--
Tom Almy
toma@sail.labs.tek.com