[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Shareware Distribution

grahama@bigsur.UUCP (Graham Ashby) (04/11/91)

My boss has a game that he wants to distribute as shareware.
What is the best way to do this (to get maximum exposure)?

Thanks In Advance
------
Graham Ashby,  grahama@bnr.ca   <-- this will bounce, sorry

shaunc@gold.gvg.tek.com (Shaun Case) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.183550.18420@bigsur.uucp> grahama@bigsur.UUCP (Graham Ashby) writes:

>My boss has a game that he wants to distribute as shareware.
>What is the best way to do this (to get maximum exposure)?

Make it a crippleware virus that installs itself as a device driver
as the first line of config.sys, and holds the FATs and partition
table hostage until the poor sod sends your boss $15 and a Round
Table Pizza coupon.

--
Shaun Case:  shaunc@gold.gvg.tek.com  or  atman%ecst.csuchico.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
 or Shaun Case of 1:119/666.0 (Fidonet)  or  1@9651 (WWIVnet)

cze2529@dcsc.dla.mil (Dave Gaulden) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr10.183550.18420@bigsur.uucp> grahama@bigsur.UUCP (Graham Ashby) writes:

>My boss has a game that he wants to distribute as shareware.
>What is the best way to do this (to get maximum exposure)?

Shareware marketing is not easy and requires a good deal of guidence to not
make too many mistakes the first time around.  The best way to aquire the
proper knowledge is to join the Association of Shareware Professionals (ASP).
They will provide you with a wealth of information.  You can contact them
via the following addresses:

ASP Ombudsman
P.O. Box 5786
Bellevue, WA 98006

CIS: 70007,3536
Compuserve:  GO SHAREWARE
--
"Man who says, 'It cannot be done', should not interrupt man who is doing it."

 Dave Gaulden Internet: cze2529@dcsc.dla.mil
	      UUCP    : osu-cis!dsac!dcsc!cze2529

paulg@bhpmrl.oz.au (Paul Gallagher) (04/17/91)

To change the subject slightly, has anyone out there had any good/bad
experiences distributing shareware? I'm particularly interested in the
level of user-response programmers have had in  various countries.

Australia apparently has a bad reputation as far as piracy etc goes,
compared to the US and Europe, and after distributing a few programs
nationaly with absolutely no response I'm prepared to admit it (they were
good programs too - believe me!). How goes it in other regions?

Paul Gallagher

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) (04/19/91)

paulg@bhpmrl.oz.au (Paul Gallagher) writes:

>To change the subject slightly, has anyone out there had any good/bad
>experiences distributing shareware? I'm particularly interested in the
>level of user-response programmers have had in  various countries.

I'm living in Germany and sent three programs to simtel some months ago.
Two users reported errors in very special situations. I corrected them.
Since then I never heared anything. Not a single registration.

Could please somebody with better experiences enlighten me how
to state in the docs that this is shareware to ensure that at least
some people pay for the programs that they use?
Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Germany | include standard
Bitnet : hartnegg@dfrruf1 or hartnegg@cernvm            | disclaimer here!
Internet : hartnegg@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de             |

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr17.134253.8931@bhpmrl.oz.au> paulg@bhpmrl.oz.au (Paul Gallagher) writes:
>To change the subject slightly, has anyone out there had any good/bad
>experiences distributing shareware? I'm particularly interested in the
>level of user-response programmers have had in  various countries.

Well, I have has fairly decent response from Australia/New Zealand, but
a get a better response form westarn Europe and Canada.  The response from
USA is by far the best. Not much response from the Far East, ond only a
handful of registrations from South America and Africa.  Nothing
whatsoever from eastern Europe - perhaps not surprising.

-frisk

coy@ssc-vax (Stephen B Coy) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr18.174809.27389@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de> hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) writes:
>paulg@bhpmrl.oz.au (Paul Gallagher) writes:
>
>Could please somebody with better experiences enlighten me how
>to state in the docs that this is shareware to ensure that at least
>some people pay for the programs that they use?

I've written a ray tracer for DOS called Vivid which I'm
distributing as "beggarware".  In the docs I state that I'm more
into this for the fun than the money but that all money would be
appreciated.  Beer, too.  Just to give people something to shoot at
I also mention the figure $30 as a good starting point for those
that would like to send money.  Since I released Vivid 1.0 last fall
I've had about a dozen people send anywhere from $5 to $40.  I'm
surely not getting rich off this but getting a check in the mail
with a nice letter beats getting bills any day.

So far all the registrations I've gotten have been from the US with
Texas and California leading the pack.  I have also had mail from
Canada and England about Vivid.

An aside: even if you don't include your phone number in the docs
people will find it and call you, even from Europe.

While its not been a commercial success the goodwill it has
generated and the people I've been in contact with really make it
worthwhile.  I feel a lot less cynical than I used to

>Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Germany | include standard
>Bitnet : hartnegg@dfrruf1 or hartnegg@cernvm            | disclaimer here!
>Internet : hartnegg@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de             |

Stephen Coy
coy@ssc-vax.UUCP

				BDIF

chenh@athena.ecs.csus.edu (h philip chen) (04/20/91)

Hi, while we're on the subject of shareware programs, can some of you
authors post/email and let us/me know if you have any secret(s) to make
the users register.  I can understand that a postal address may not be
enough to get the users to send you their checks.  What other method/trick
did you use?  Self-destruct programs, eg. destroys itself after X number
of executions/runs, etc?  ... or nagware (heh-heh) that prompts the user
to pay-up each time the user selects a certain function, etc?  Any other
method or none at all?  Please write and tell how did the users respond
to the method (if any).  Maybe we can all learn something before we send
any shareware out the door...

Well, thanks in advance.

Hope to hear from many of you,

-philip
 chenh@athena.ecs.csus.edu

PS.  your email replies will be strictly confidential.

gmurray@ibmpcug.co.uk (G Murray) (04/21/91)

 One tip for getting registrations especially from 'foreign' countries.
Accept credit cards for registrations. Especially for lowish priced
Shareware, it can cost nearly as much to obtain $(or other currency)
money orders or checks as the amount being paid. Paying by credit card
is much easier.

Graham Murray

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not

ressler@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu (Mike "IR" Ressler) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr20.090140.9406@csusac.csus.edu> chenh@athena.ecs.csus.edu (h philip chen) writes:

>Hi, while we're on the subject of shareware programs, can some of you
>authors post/email and let us/me know if you have any secret(s) to make
>the users register.  I can understand that a postal address may not be
>enough to get the users to send you their checks.  What other method/trick
>did you use?  Self-destruct programs, eg. destroys itself after X number
>of executions/runs, etc?  ... or nagware (heh-heh) that prompts the user
>to pay-up each time the user selects a certain function, etc?  Any other
>method or none at all?  Please write and tell how did the users respond
>to the method (if any).  Maybe we can all learn something before we send
>any shareware out the door...

This is not to be construed in any way to be a personal flame, but why do
you (writers of shareware) start with the assumption that your potential
users are out to screw you over. I'm not naive enough to think that
everyone will mail you the check, but I think there are enough people like
me who will play by the rules that you don't really want to alienate us.
I've dumped shareware programs which were incomplete distributions ("mail
us $30 and we'll send you the real version") or went overboard with the
"nagware". Why? Because I want to make sure the complete package does what
I need before I part with my increasing scarce dollars and because I don't
like having my integrity impugned unfairly. I pay for what I use and use
only what I pay for. Surely I'm not the only person who adheres to this
belief.

Mike Ressler

P. S. The shareware programs I respect most (and would then be most likely
to use) have a page which asks you to register and gives the pertinent info
when you start up (or when you quit), then behave completely normally and
unirritatingly, with all features operational, for the rest of the session.
--
  Mike Ressler - Infrared Photon Jockey     ressler@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu

  If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger sledgehammer.

paulg@bhpmrl.oz.au (Paul Gallagher) (04/23/91)

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) writes:

>In article <1991Apr17.134253.8931@bhpmrl.oz.au> paulg@bhpmrl.oz.au (Paul Gallagher) writes:
>>To change the subject slightly, has anyone out there had any good/bad
>Well, I have has fairly decent response from Australia/New Zealand, but
>a get a better response form westarn Europe and Canada.  The response from
>USA is by far the best. Not much response from the Far East, ond only a
>handful of registrations from South America and Africa.  Nothing
>whatsoever from eastern Europe - perhaps not surprising.

>-frisk

I guess marketing types would say you've "targeted your market" well. I
can believe that anti-virus software would pay since (a) corporations
are more likely to cough-up ["quality is proportional to cost"!] and (b)
everyone seems to be paranoid about getting the latest virus-signature
list.

Have you distributed other types of software? How does the response compare?

PaulG.
PS "The cheque's in the mail"!

c8902348@wombat.newcastle.edu.au (05/10/91)

In article <1991Apr17.134253.8931@bhpmrl.oz.au>, paulg@bhpmrl.oz.au (Paul Gallagher) writes:
> To change the subject slightly, has anyone out there had any good/bad
> experiences distributing shareware? I'm particularly interested in the
> level of user-response programmers have had in  various countries.
>
> Australia apparently has a bad reputation as far as piracy etc goes,
> compared to the US and Europe, and after distributing a few programs
> nationaly with absolutely no response I'm prepared to admit it (they were
> good programs too - believe me!). How goes it in other regions?

There is an Australian Association of Shareware Authors coming about in
Australia, fairly soon..

If your interested, drop me a line.

Tony