Path:wjh12!genrad!mit-eddie!gumby
Date:Wed, 6-Jul-83 23:18:10 EDT
Organization:MIT, Cambridge, MA

Wow!  The ":-)" notation was suggested just about three mionths ago, and
I had thought that it was spreading SLOWLY.  Just how fast is this network
growing, anyway?

david

mat@hou5e.UUCP (07/07/83)

They ``:-)'' is indeed a smiley face.  Be careful -- there are variations
on this which may be smilng and may be not.

					Mark Terribile
					Duke of deNet

rcj@burl.UUCP (07/07/83)

Sorry to disappoint new netters (newer than myself, that is),
but, as with light bulb and Paddy O'Furniture jokes, it has been
done before.  I joined the net in November and the :-) symbol was
already well on its way to becoming a standard "just kidding"
indicator.
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3814 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ floyd sb1 mhuxv ]!burl!rcj

bormanp@stolaf.UUCP (07/07/83)

	As I recall, it was started last summer.  Seems as though there
	was a whole list of 'um made then too . . .

				Paul R Borman
				St. Olaf College

dja@mi-cec.UUCP (07/12/83)

	hmmm... i've been using that for about nine months now! other
variations include winking smileys, like ;-)...

		-Dave Aronson
		idis!mi-cec!dja (uucp)
		da2p%cmcctd@cmuc (arpa)