[comp.os.msdos.programmer] To C Or Not To C...

cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) (05/08/91)

From article <1991May7.153645.1535@milton.u.washington.edu>, by moe@milton.u.washington.edu (Joe Shippert):

> I am begionning to learn the C language and would like to buy it for my
> ms dos machine. What are the best packages for the language (i.e. who makes
> what?) What's the difference between QuickC and regular microsoft C?
> Thanx.

If your purpose is just to learn and later do real development, I
would start with the Mix C compiler.  Its, what..., $20 or so.
Borland and MS and others are in the hundreds.

|Tom Hite					|  The views expressed by me |
|Manager, Product development			|  are mine, not necessarily |
|CADSI (Computer Aided Design Software Inc.	|  the views of CADSI.       |

kds@physics (Kevin Stokes) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.153645.1535@milton.u.washington.edu> moe@milton.u.washington.edu (Joe Shippert) writes:

>I am begionning to learn the C language and would like to buy it for my
>ms dos machine.
  If you are interested in a reasonable C compiler, at very low cost,
you might consider Power C from Mix software for $19.95.  It comes with
a function library and a thick manual.
  The main difference between it and Borland C is that Borland includes
a fancy-pants debugger (which I never have used), and that the Borland
compiler compiles much faster (although the execution speed is similar).
        -Kevin

--
	Kevin Stokes
	Duke University Dept. of Physics	kds@phy.duke.edu

joe@proto.com (Joe Huffman) (05/13/91)

ressler@CS.Cornell.EDU (Gene Ressler) writes:

>I'd be amazed if TC++ did CP, as there
>are other optimizations that would be no harder
>and have larger payback.  Here's an example
>that shows TC2.0 _doesn't_ do it.

>#include <stdio.h>
>main()
>{
>  int a, b;

>  a = 1;
>  b = a;
>  printf("%d\n", b);
>}

>If TC++ does this, I'll rush out to buy a copy 8-> .

The Zortech compiler does 'it' (see below).  Does this mean you will rush out
and buy a copy of it?  No need to 'rush out' really -- just call
800-848-8408.  Don't forget to ask about your educational discount.

:-)

;#include <stdio.h>
;main()
;{