[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Where Norton's 40-line font comes from

ab2r@quads.uchicago.edu (Marshall Abrams) (05/12/91)

yogi@cs.ubc.ca (Joseph Gil)  and joe@proto.com (Joe Huffman) wrote
wondering about where the font came from when Norton Control Center
produces a 40-line mode.  I don't know much about this aspect of PC's,
so what I'm about to say may be extremely naive.

I just did very crude measurements of the 40-line and 50-line font
heights (by holding a tape measure up to the monitor :-).  It looks as
if the only difference between them is that the 40-line font has a
little bit of space between the bottom of a 'p' or 'q' and the top of
a capital letter, whereas the 50-line mode does not.  The heights of
the characters themselves appear to be the same in either mode.  Is it
possible that NCC simply copies the 50-line font and modifies it by
adding space beneath every character, or something like that?

		Marshall Abrams

yogi@cs.ubc.ca (Joseph Gil) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May11.212813.12636@midway.uchicago.edu> ab2r@quads.uchicago.edu (Marshall Abrams) writes:
>yogi@cs.ubc.ca (Joseph Gil)  and joe@proto.com (Joe Huffman) wrote
>wondering about where the font came from when Norton Control Center
>produces a 40-line mode.  I don't know much about this aspect of PC's,
>so what I'm about to say may be extremely naive.
>
>I just did very crude measurements of the 40-line and 50-line font
>heights (by holding a tape measure up to the monitor :-).  It looks as
>if the only difference between them is that the 40-line font has a
>little bit of space between the bottom of a 'p' or 'q' and the top of
>a capital letter, whereas the 50-line mode does not.  The heights of
>the characters themselves appear to be the same in either mode.  Is it
>possible that NCC simply copies the 50-line font and modifies it by
>adding space beneath every character, or something like that?
>
>		Marshall Abrams

The secret is that Norton loads its own 10x8 font. This font
is in the end of the file NCC.EXE and NCD.EXE.

Yossi

yogi@cs.ubc.ca (Joseph Gil) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May11.212813.12636@midway.uchicago.edu> ab2r@quads.uchicago.edu (Marshall Abrams) writes:
>yogi@cs.ubc.ca (Joseph Gil)  and joe@proto.com (Joe Huffman) wrote
>wondering about where the font came from when Norton Control Center
>produces a 40-line mode.  I don't know much about this aspect of PC's,
>so what I'm about to say may be extremely naive.
>
>I just did very crude measurements of the 40-line and 50-line font
>heights (by holding a tape measure up to the monitor :-).  It looks as
>if the only difference between them is that the 40-line font has a
>little bit of space between the bottom of a 'p' or 'q' and the top of
>a capital letter, whereas the 50-line mode does not.  The heights of
>the characters themselves appear to be the same in either mode.  Is it
>possible that NCC simply copies the 50-line font and modifies it by
>adding space beneath every character, or something like that?
>
>		Marshall Abrams

Now I know the answer, Norton loads its OWN 10x8 full font. This
font is very near the end of NCC.EXE and NCD.EXE

Yossi

Newsgroups: comp.os.msdos.programmer
Subject: Re: Where Norton's 40-line font comes from

Newsgroups: comp.os.msdos.programmer

In article <1991May11.212813.12636@midway.uchicago.edu> ab2r@quads.uchicago.edu (Marshall Abrams) writes:
>yogi@cs.ubc.ca (Joseph Gil)  and joe@proto.com (Joe Huffman) wrote
>wondering about where the font came from when Norton Control Center
>produces a 40-line mode.  I don't know much about this aspect of PC's,
>so what I'm about to say may be extremely naive.
>
>I just did very crude measurements of the 40-line and 50-line font
>heights (by holding a tape measure up to the monitor :-).  It looks as
>if the only difference between them is that the 40-line font has a
>little bit of space between the bottom of a 'p' or 'q' and the top of
>a capital letter, whereas the 50-line mode does not.  The heights of
>the characters themselves appear to be the same in either mode.  Is it
>possible that NCC simply copies the 50-line font and modifies it by
>adding space beneath every character, or something like that?
>
>		Marshall Abrams

Now I know the answer, Norton loads its OWN 10x8 full font. This
font is very near the end of NCC.EXE and NCD.EXE

Yossi

orenalex@bimacs.BITNET (oren alex) (05/15/91)

Hello, I have a related question.

A friend of mine bought a Commodore lap-top (286, Phoenix BIOS, VGA screen)
This thing has something against software fonts.
Whenever I load a font, the screen shrinks leaving an unused area at
the bottom.
However, if i then run the norton commander, the screen goes back to
normal size but the font size remains the same (thus i get more lines
on the screen than i intended).
We think the problem is that there are 480 lines on the screen while a
"normal" VGA has only 400 in text modes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since my friend cannot use any
hebrew fonts on the laptop which reduces it to a paperweight status.

Thanx in advance,
        Alex.