[comp.os.msdos.programmer] screen gen, report gen on PC in REALIA COBOL 4.0?

alen@crash.cts.com (Alen Shapiro) (05/23/91)

I'm on a project that requires 60 screens and as many reports be generated
and programmed as fast as possible. Usually I'd use a screen generator
(such as C-Scape) to prototype the screens and then convert to runnable.
In this case there is a requirement to integrate with REALIA COBOL 4.0 on
a PC and the people here do NOT want to learn C (grr). Is there a COBOL
equivalent?

Reports are also being generated in COBOL - line for line from BTRIEVE
accessible data. Any suggestions on how to get out of the "dark ages"?

--alen

alen@crash.cts.com
alen%shappy@crash.cts.com

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.142731.24057@crash.cts.com> alen@crash.cts.com (Alen Shapiro) writes:
>I'm on a project that requires 60 screens and as many reports be generated
>and programmed as fast as possible. Usually I'd use a screen generator
>(such as C-Scape) to prototype the screens and then convert to runnable.
>In this case there is a requirement to integrate with REALIA COBOL 4.0 on
>a PC and the people here do NOT want to learn C (grr). Is there a COBOL
>equivalent?

Back when I had to write a COBOL program with a screen interface (hack, gag)
I used a package that made the screen handling very painless.  It has a screen
editor, then you define fields, field attributes, etc. etc.  It's called
ScreenIO, and is specifically made to run with Realia COBOL.  Check your
Realia documents, I seem to remember that they even included a mention about
this product.

--
Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.     |     Ron Dippold