[comp.os.msdos.programmer] MSC vs. Turbo vs. Zortech

joe@proto.com (Joe Huffman) (05/24/91)

mallsop@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop) writes:

>I am involved in a large project programming a database program.  Currently
>we are using Microsoft C 5.1, but some people have suggested that Turbo would
>be a better compiler to use.  I really don't want to start a MSC vs. Turbo war
>on this newsgroup, but I would be very interested to find out the advantages of
>each compiler.  I am thinking specifically of things like memory managment, ease
>of use of extended memory, overlay support, sizes of executables, speed of
>compiled programs, etc.

I would like to suggest you also consider Zortech.  They have the easiest
method of using expanded memory (another pointer type).  Expanded memory is
easily accessed using one of the DOS extenders they support.  The Virtual
Code Managment memory model (VCM) makes overlays nearly transparent to the
programmer it lets your program automagically adjust the memory allocated
to code as your data space needs change.  Sizes of the executables range from
'about the same' for small "Hello world" programs to much smaller for 'real'
applications.  Speed of compilation is about 4 x faster than MSC and about
1.2->2.0 x faster than Turbo for most 'real' programs.  Etc...

---
Zortech mailing list: send email to 'ztc-list-request@zortech.com' with:
Add: your-user-name@your-machine-name
In the body of the message.
---
Send Zortech bug reports to 'zortech-bugs@zortech.com'
Send requests for educational discounts to 'zortech-ed@zortech.com'
---
Zortech is my major source of income.  Statements about them or their
competitors cannot be totally without bias.
--
joe@proto.com