[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Wanted: Borland-compatible database library w/query support

dwatney@pine.circa.ufl.edu (Marshall Sutherland) (05/24/91)

The title pretty much says it all.  I am looking for suggestions for
a database library package with the following features:
 * compatibility with Borland C++ (many packages seem to be MS-C only)
 * comprehensive query support.  At this point, I'm not too pickly
   about the form that this query must take, but I need to be able
   to do ALOT more than simple searches.
 * royalty free distribution.
 * built-in network support would be nice...

Have I just eliminated every database library on the planet?  If not,
let me know what is left.

Thanks,

-----
Marshall Sutherland, Digital Magic
dwatney@pine.circa.ufl.edu, dwatney@ufpine.bitnet, uflorida!arms!0
Sysop, Farthinghale Arms BBS, +1 904 378 4861

oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (05/24/91)

In article <28700@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> dwatney@pine.circa.ufl.edu (Marshall Sutherland) writes:

   The title pretty much says it all.  I am looking for suggestions for
   a database library package with the following features:
    * compatibility with Borland C++ (many packages seem to be MS-C only)
    * comprehensive query support.  At this point, I'm not too pickly
      about the form that this query must take, but I need to be able
      to do ALOT more than simple searches.
    * royalty free distribution.
    * built-in network support would be nice...

   Have I just eliminated every database library on the planet?  If not,
   let me know what is left.

   Thanks,

   -----
   Marshall Sutherland, Digital Magic
   dwatney@pine.circa.ufl.edu, dwatney@ufpine.bitnet, uflorida!arms!0
   Sysop, Farthinghale Arms BBS, +1 904 378 4861

I don't think so, just all the cheap solutions.  Borland has just the
product for you, paradox 3.5 (or the rumored paradox for windows) and
the paradox toolbox.  Basicaly the paradox toolbox is the all the run
time calls that paradox uses, so you can do what you want.

Now, how much will that set you back?  Well, the toolbox is about
$100, and if you get a special, paradox is about $150, but lists for
something outragious like $795 or so...

I only have the paradox toolbox version 1.0, which is C only, and I
believe that the only signifigant restriction over the normal borland
license agreement is that you say you won't build another paradox
program.

I don't work for borland, just happy with their products.

bruce
--
Bruce O'Neel              oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC/STX/Code 664

dwatney@pine.circa.ufl.edu (Marshall Sutherland) (05/25/91)

In article <ONEEL.91May24091238@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov>, oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) writes...
>In article <28700@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> dwatney@pine.circa.ufl.edu (Marshall Sutherland) writes:

[...]
>    * compatibility with Borland C++ (many packages seem to be MS-C only)
>    * comprehensive query support.  At this point, I'm not too pickly
>      about the form that this query must take, but I need to be able
>      to do ALOT more than simple searches.
>    * royalty free distribution.
>    * built-in network support would be nice...

[...]
>I don't think so, just all the cheap solutions.  Borland has just the
>product for you, paradox 3.5 (or the rumored paradox for windows) and
>the paradox toolbox.  Basicaly the paradox toolbox is the all the run
>time calls that paradox uses, so you can do what you want.

[...]

I've got the 2.0 version of the Paradox Engine.  It meets all the criteria
except the query support.  QBE is definitly not supported.  They have a
nice search command which would be great for equality queries (all 30 yr
olds who were here on 5/23/91), but would be useless for inequality
queries (all >= 30 yr olds here between 5/1/91 and 5/31/91).

BTW, other than this lack which will cause me LOTS of time if we stick
with it, I like the package (especially at the $99 price, :)

-----

joe@proto.com (Joe Huffman) (05/25/91)

dwatney@pine.circa.ufl.edu (Marshall Sutherland) writes:

>a database library package with the following features:
> * compatibility with Borland C++ (many packages seem to be MS-C only)
> * comprehensive query support.  At this point, I'm not too pickly
>   about the form that this query must take, but I need to be able
>   to do ALOT more than simple searches.
> * royalty free distribution.
> * built-in network support would be nice...

RAIMA corporation does all the above with the possible exception of Borland
C++.  I know they support Zortech C++ though.

Voice: 800-327-2462
FAX: 206-747-1991

I own some of their products, I'm not entirely pleased but it's better than
any other database I have worked with (my experience is limited in this
regard).  Tech support is free and good.  BBS is available too.
--
joe@proto.com