[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Device drivers in .EXE format

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (05/28/91)

Some time ago (a long time ago) I read that some versions of DOS support
.EXE format device drivers.  I assume this just means that relocation
fixups will occur; you'll still need the device driver header in the
load image.

Does anyone know the details of this?  Which versions does it work in? Do
the initial CS:IP and SS:SP values have any meaning?

Thanks for any help; I'll post a summary if there's any interest.

Duncan Murdoch
dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu
 or
dmurdoch@poppy.waterloo.edu

Duncan.Murdoch@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (Duncan Murdoch) (05/28/91)

Some time ago (a long time ago) I read that some versions of DOS support
.EXE format device drivers.  I assume this just means that relocation
fixups will occur; you'll still need the device driver header in the
load image.

Does anyone know the details of this?  Which versions does it work in? Do
the initial CS:IP and SS:SP values have any meaning?

Thanks for any help; I'll post a summary if there's any interest.

Duncan Murdoch
dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu
 or
dmurdoch@poppy.waterloo.edu

 * Origin: Seaeast - Fidonet<->Usenet Gateway - sunbrk (1:343/15.0)