[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Borland's VROOM & Networks

gt3791a@prism.gatech.EDU (JOHNSON) (05/25/91)

I've been using Borland C++ for some time now, and recently I have been
working on some memory intensive applications to be run on networks (i.e.
Novell).  In the manuals for C++, there are one or two mentionings of
some sort of incompatibility between networks and the VROOM overlay
manager.  However, there is limited explaination - no more than "Note that
VROOM applications and network file servers do not mix."  (This can be
found in a caption at the beginning of the section on Overlays.)

What is the nature of the conflict?  Can VROOM applications be run on
workstations utilizing local drives instead of network drives (despite
operating in the network's shell)?

My suspicion is that the problem arises out of Borland using some slight-of-
disk writing techniques that are incompatible with network drives.  However,
I suspect there may also be problems with respect to memory management while
operating under a shell.  Nevertheless, I can't afford to crash a system
trying to find out...  Any help and comments would be appreciated.

						M. Johnson

uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt3791a
Internet: gt3791a@prism.gatech.edu

JOHNSON@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (JOHNSON) (05/25/91)

[...]

 * Origin: Seaeast - Fidonet<->Usenet Gateway - sunbrk (1:343/15.0)

trier@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu (Stephen C. Trier) (05/30/91)

"Note that VROOMM applications and network file servers do not mix."
Now, that's good documentation, isn't it?

Anyway, if I turn off the flame thrower, I'll give you my guesses:
1) Any kind of swapping will be slow off of a file server.  2) Setting
a VROOMM application (or a Microsoft C overlaid application) execute-
only on a Novell server will render it inoperable.  This means that
file server copy protection will kill any VROOMM application.  3) If
they mean a non-dedicated server, perhaps VROOMM isn't compatible with
the funny disk access techniques such a server has to use.

Does the Borland integrated environment run off of your file server?
It uses VROOMM, so if it works, yours should work, too.

--
Stephen Trier                        Work: trier@ins.cwru.edu
Case Western Reserve University      Home: sct@seldon.clv.oh.us

u3369429@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Michael Bednarek) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.222808.29430@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, trier@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu (Stephen C. Trier) writes:
> [...]
> 1) Any kind of swapping will be slow off of a file server.  2) Setting
> a VROOMM application (or a Microsoft C overlaid application) execute-
> only on a Novell server will render it inoperable.  This means that
> file server copy protection will kill any VROOMM application.  3) If

ad 2): Quattro Pro 3.0 runs happily with .EXE and .VRM files flagged as
Read Only. In fact, all files in our file server's directory QPRO are RO.
--
Michael Bednarek,  Big River Ski Lodge  Caravan Park,  Seelands
Grafton Base Hospital, Grafton 2460, AUS, Phone: +61 66 44 9324    //