[comp.os.msdos.programmer] DDK vs SDK

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) (05/29/91)

I have heard reference to something Microsoft call DDK.  I know SDK is the
Software Development Kit for Windows, but I don't know what DDK is or what
it is to be used for.  I will be doing development of networking applications
to run under Windows.

Followup-To is set to comp.os.msdos.programmer, or you may email to me at
the address phil-howard@uiuc.edu.
Thanks.
--
 /***************************************************************************\
/ Phil Howard -- KA9WGN -- phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu   |  Guns don't aim guns at  \

oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.221139.26370@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) writes:

   I have heard reference to something Microsoft call DDK.  I know SDK is the
   Software Development Kit for Windows, but I don't know what DDK is or what
   it is to be used for.  I will be doing development of networking applications
   to run under Windows.

   Followup-To is set to comp.os.msdos.programmer, or you may email to me at
   the address phil-howard@uiuc.edu.
   Thanks.
   --

DDK is the Device Driver Development Toolkit.  I know, it doesn't have
all the right letters, but that's what you use it for.  I don't own it

bruce
--
Bruce O'Neel              oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC/STX/Code 664

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (05/29/91)

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) writes:

>I have heard reference to something Microsoft call DDK.  I know SDK is the
>Software Development Kit for Windows, but I don't know what DDK is or what
>it is to be used for.  I will be doing development of networking applications
>to run under Windows.

DDK = Device Driver Kit.  Sorta like an SDK for super-tekkies who want to
write closer to the bare metal than Windows permits for normal apps.
Actually, it's most useful for someone who wants to support a nonstandard
peripheral, or needs special support features.

Sample code in the kit includes somewhat outdated versions of the standard
mode comm and HPPCL drivers.

Only place I've seen it for sale other than directly from uSoft is in
The Programmer's Shop mail-order catalog, at $350.

Joe

danderso@magrethea.matrox.com (Daniel Anderson) (05/30/91)

DDK stand for device driver kit. It is use by OEM to make device
driver for their graphic board/printer/plotter... so that their
customer can use it.

| Daniel Anderson               Matrox Electronic systems, Graphic Software  |
| internet: danderso@magrethea.matrox.com | "I don't NEED to compromise my   |