[comp.os.msdos.programmer] MSC vs. Turbo

mallsop@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop) (05/23/91)

I am involved in a large project programming a database program.  Currently
we are using Microsoft C 5.1, but some people have suggested that Turbo would
be a better compiler to use.  I really don't want to start a MSC vs. Turbo war
on this newsgroup, but I would be very interested to find out the advantages of
each compiler.  I am thinking specifically of things like memory managment, ease
of use of extended memory, overlay support, sizes of executables, speed of
compiled programs, etc.

If anyone knows of any differences (not 'i think Turbo is better 'cause my
auntie said it had a nicer box' if you can healp it, please) I'd be very
appreciative to hear from you.

+Mark.
--
 Mark Allsop                                              Computer Scientist
 email: mallsop@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au                The Statistical Laboratory

miller@b-mrda.ca.boeing.com (Mark Miller) (05/23/91)

I switched from MSC 5.1 to Turbo C (now using Borland C++) two years
ago and haven't looked back. I switched due to the ease of setup and
use of the programmer's environment. I find Borland's Integrated
Development Environment much more intuitive than the MS Programmer's
Workbench. All the options are available through pull-down menus.

More recently, Borland came out with exquisite handling of EMS/XMS
for its development environment in BC++. The BCX environment will
run in extended memory and give you the benefit of all available
memory for compiling operations. In addition, through their object
library, you can access EMS/XMS through your programs.

No financial ties with Borland, just a happy user.

Mark R. Miller                     |
Boeing Commercial Airplane Company |
Seattle, WA                        |
Internet: miller@b-mrda.boeing.com |
Voicenet: (206) 237-0960           |
Opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) (06/01/91)

mallsop@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop) writes:

>we are using Microsoft C 5.1, but some people have suggested that Turbo would
>be a better compiler to use.  I really don't want to start a MSC vs. Turbo war
>on this newsgroup, but I would be very interested to find out the advantages of
>each compiler. I am thinking specifically of things like memory managment, ease
>of use of extended memory, overlay support, sizes of executables, speed of
>compiled programs, etc.                                           ^^^^^^^^

Some weeks ago I got dbwrendr, a ray tracing program that was
apparently compiled with Microsoft C.
All source was included so I tried recompiling it with Turbo-C 2.0.
Result: it now calculates the same picture in half the time!
btw: I do NOT have a numeric coprocessor.
Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Germany | include standard
Bitnet : hartnegg@dfrruf1 or hartnegg@cernvm            | disclaimer here!
Internet : hartnegg@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de             |